Ethernet Switch

It’s been ages since I played with this :sweat_smile:
Capture

1 Like

Very interesting to see that the people who knows absolutely nothing about UDP and TCP networking protocols, who could not tell the differences between various classes of IP addresses, can hear the differences between network switches and Ethernet cables and WIFI?

1 Like

Yes exactly. I just picked up a Cisco 2960 24TT for very little, and it was a bulk-pack new item. A 10/100 though. It’s excellent. SQ is slightly improved, but my whole network runs so much better.
I threw away the $10 TP-link.

1 Like

Yeah this is entirely not necessary to look at the formats… what this does demonstrate is whether you have group traffic that would interfere with the SQ on your streamer and whether a switch like a 2960 , or any switch supporting IGMP snooping would help.
You see there is reason why things improve SQ, it’s not magic, and this is particular evidence… iecause and effect.

1 Like

As they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Always good to hear the views on SQ of those with no technical knowledge…no clutter…no prejudice!

No one needs a degree in electrical engineering or ‘listening’ to provide a perfectly valid opinion. And that is all it ever is…an opinion.

I know nothing about UDP and TCP networking protocols. Does that mean I am not worthy to give my opinions on SQ of switches and Ethernet cables?

Confused, of Chesham.

4 Likes

No, the opposite! That is why you can hear the differences. :slight_smile:

Ah, the old bits is bits argument. I get it.

So sorry to rock the boat.

Exactly… cause and effect… why does my system sound different today… this is one of the reasons. A capable switch manages this for you without you having to worry about.
But if one said you needed an IGMP snooping switch or a guard switch in some scenarios … you might equally say why, what on earth does that mean and why? and now the reason is there… and you can see if it will relevant for you and remove one of those variables that seem to plague some on this forum if you read their posts.

No magic here… it’s about having reliable and correct tools for the job.

I guess I don’t subscribe to the pixie dust school of audio replay… it tends to mess with your head…

But you are our new go to guru on everything @Clive nominated you😉

Hello Simon. In my simple setup I have a wire from the router to my ‘hifi’ switch, which feeds the 272, the nas and two QBs. Then there is another wire that goes upstairs to the study, where we have a little netgear, our computer and a UQ2. It also has an extra wired WiFi point. That’s it. So presumably this is sufficiently simple that igmp and multicast are not issues and a guard switch would thus serve no practical purpose. Would you agree? Thanks!!

Thank goodness @Clive didn’t check my credentials for the guru job!

1 Like

Hi Nigel… what is your ISP router? If it’s BT and say Smart Hub2 you are in a good place. If so plug the wire that goes upstairs into your router switchport, and then the other wire from another router switchport into your ‘Hi-Fi’ switch your streamers and your music NAS…
and I think you will be fine and optimum.

We use - and I know you’ll say it’s a dinosaur! - an AirPort Extreme, with an Express upstairs. We have Virgin Media with an HH3 set in modem mode. They should pay me for that name…

1 Like

If the AirportExtreme has IGMP snooping, switch it on, and plug the upstairs and Hi-Fi switch Ethernet wire into that AirportExtreme.(if you can… don’t know how many switch ports it has)

1 Like

Hi Simon. It’s already connected exactly as you suggest - one wire to upstairs and the Netgear, and one to the Hifi switch. So I got that right! I checked in the AE settings and IGMP was switched off, and has been ever since I bought it donkey’s years ago. So I’ve switched it on. I’ve had a shufti at Wikipedia to discover what IGMP snooping does - basically stopping things getting stuff they don’t need, so I understand why it’s sensible to have it operational to minimise the use of bandwidth.

Presumably it cannot make the music sound better but it helps to prevent other stuff going on in the house having a deleterious effect. Does that sound about right? You are, as ever, a star.

It’s a reason I have an attachment to my AE - even the total IT numpty can find their way around it!

That was only for DTC issues, Gazza. Or perhaps @NigelB was just lucky!

1 Like

@Simon-in-Suffolk, sorry to be a pain but I have similar questions to the other Nigel.

I too have a relatively simple network that I believe lacks multicast issues. My router is an older BT Hub5 that does not have IGMP snooping but I have two daisy-chained Cisco 2960 switches, the second of which is connected to my UnitServe and ND555. The first 2960 has my QNAP NAS attached to it. I believe the 2960s have IGMP snooping, but I can’t tell if they are enabled. They have both been set to factory settings.

My Sky box is of course satellite but integrated services like Netflix are streamed and I have connected the Sky box straight to the BT router. My MacBook Pro is also connected to the BT Hub5.

How do I check if my 2960s are set to IGMP snooping?

If I substitute both my 2960s for an EtherREGEN switch, will I effectively be removing IGMP snooping, and if so, will putting one of the 2960s between the ER and the old BT router reinstate IGMP snooping?

Sorry for yet more numpty questions.

Lucky…LUCKY! How very dare you!

I knew exactly what I was doing! :wink:

2 Likes

Yep, sounds like you have the hand of it :wink:

If your 2960s were set to default values when you purchased them, then IGMP snooping should be switched on. Or at least that was the case with both of my 2960 devices.

I believe you will need a Cisco console cable which will allow you to connect a laptop to your switch to check out configuration - or at least that is how I checked my config.

Simon no doubt will be able to tell you is there is an easier way.

1 Like