European Elections

It’s not just UK who are disinterested in EU: the Czechs, Slovakians and Poles seem pretty indifferent when it comes to voting. I wish more people would vote. I don’t think much of the EU, but I still vote.

I would sympathise with those who say “Don’t vote, it just encourages them” if nothing comes of the referendum

1 Like

I know it probably doesn’t matter, but everyone should be careful about stating who they voted for in a public forum like this while the polling stations are still open. Strictly interpreted, the law says that newspapers and broadcasters are not supposed to influence voters in any way - and that includes public statements encouraging people to vote a particular way, statements about how one intends to vote, or had voted.

It’s unlikely that the Electoral Commission will come knocking on the forum door and ask Mr Dane to delete this thread (the polls are only open for 1hr 40min anyway) but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

1 Like

Good point - ideally these threads should have been locked today
I may have mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it

2 Likes

You started it!

2 Likes

Vote Green! Vote Green! Vote Green!

2 Likes

Right! I’m telling! :laughing:

1 Like

We always vote. We believe that too many people made too many sacrifices so that our generation can take it for granted. As well as being important in our view, voting honours those who made it possible for us.

For the EU elections we vote Green (for the incumbent candidate). It might not stop Brexit but it gives us one more opportunity to be counted as remainers, assuming anyone gives a damn. For any other election we vote Labour.

Our Polling Station was the busiest I’ve ever seen it for any election. It could be that we just turned up at a busy time. Clumps of people in discussion, some debating and several strains of far Right dogma clearly audible. Unusual at our local Polling Station. One of my neighbours, who claims she never votes, turned out yesterday for the Brexit Party.

Well, you seem to have got it wrong : 51% across the EU27 countries.

Some EU Election number crunching from Wales:

Brexit 271,404
UKIP 27,566
TOTAL LEAVE VOTES = 298,970

Plaid 163,928
Green 52,660
CHUK 24,332
LibDem 113885
TOTAL REMAIN VOTES = 354,805

I now declare that Wales is a REMAIN win and Pro EU Country :smile:

Labour 127,833 - N/A
Conser 54,587 - N/A

1 Like

You forgot to count the people who didn’t vote - you usually include those :joy:

4 Likes

Some good news… the Tories, UKIP and the TIGgers are set for electoral oblivion.

1 Like

Repeated from the Brexit thread: In a few hours the full data from the EU elections in UK will be available, but the first couple of hours may be indicative: So far the Brexit party has 31.6%, UKIP 3.3%, = 34.9% total definitively supporting Brexit (% of those voting). Not much change from the first hour’s results.The total is a bit more than the 27% UKIP in the last election 5 years ago, but distinctly less than the resounding indication of a huge majority some punters on this forum predicted.

The proportion of the electorate who voted in the areas so far declared (37%) is only slightly up on a fairly typical (for Britain) 35%, so Brexit so far seems to have made little difference to the number of people voting, which is in keeping with the election being exactly what it was: a vote for EU political representatives.

On this basis, for those who predicted that the voting would show an overwhelming shift towards Brexit, it hasn’t, and if, as some of those people erroneously suggested, this election was effectively a proxy second referendum on Brexit, it shows that only a third of those who voted clearly want it.

In Italy great victory of the NORTH LEAGUE. first party … Sovereign Europe …

It’s always good to see far-right racists doing well. So refreshing.

3 Likes

I’ve just seen this quote from Obersturmführer Liz Truss:

These terrible election results are not a surprise. It’s because of the failure to leave the EU when we said we would. We must leave by 31st October deal or no deal. #EuropeanElectionResults

I interpret this to mean that because the Sun readers of the nation have decided to protest via their enfranchisement, those entrusted with protecting our economic and political well being must set aside that which might be best for the nation and follow a path of self immolation.

Happy bloody days!

Liz Truss is probably the dimmest member of the government, and there’s stiff competition for that particular accolade. She should stick to talking about cheese.

1 Like

Although I didn’t get in personally, we did very well.

Nationally, around 41% voted for Parties who want to stop Brexit and 59% voted for parties wishing to implement what people voted for in 2016 in the once in a life time referendum. Conservative and Labour who support a softer form of Brexit polled just over 23% of the total vote.

It was disappointing to see the rise of extreme right wing parties in some of our European neighbours. We are a moderate party who simply want to be friends with as many countries and peoples as possible without being trapped by the EU. Who votes for the AFD in Germany? Do they really have people in the EU Parliament? We shall oppose parties such as these.

Interestingly, although no definitive extrapolations can be drawn, the indicators are it would make sense to have a second Scottish independence vote. Those voting would know that if they vote to leave the UK then they are out of the EU, but free to negotiate re-entry, and if they vote to stay in the UK then they are most likely to be out of the EU, without any prospect of re-entry. As the Scots appear to be the most angry about the political climate this would seem fair. I’m not a Scot, although I have enjoyed working and spending holidays in Scotland, so am happy to be corrected.

If we had a General Election and it followed the lines of the European Elections then we’d have a Brexit government with a strong majority in the house and Nigel Farage as Prime Minister. I think that would accelerate our departure for the EU. Indicators are this would be very popular in England and Wales even against a new Conservative party led by Liz Truss or Dominic Raab. Come to think of it, if Liz or Dom were to lead a new Conservative party then a Brexit Conservative coallition could be the dream ticket.

Election%20Results

So all in all a very good result for The Brexit Party and the United Kingdom (much fairer and better than Eurovision). Many thanks to those on the forum and in the country who gave us their support. [The time to hesitate is through, no time to wallow in the mire]

All the best, Tiberio

PS I’ll leave others to ignore or debate this, I’m happy the Election results showed us that the British people are behind us.

1 Like

Not sure how you come up with those figures.
Brexit plus UKIP gives 34.9%
Lib Dems + Greens + Change UK gives 35.8%
It’s difficult to know what to do with the other parties’ figures (I take you have assumed that they are all with Brexit).
SNP are pro-EU, so arguably we could add those to the 35.8% figure giving 39.4%, and possibly Plaid Cymru could be added giving 40.4% (is that how you got to 41%?).
But it is really hard to figure out what to do with the Labour and Conservative numbers (I assume you lumped them all in with the Brexit figures, despite many in both those parties being remainers - which seems somewhat mendacious). Ignoring those two parties (which seems reasonable) we get about 35% each for pro and anti brexit.

1 Like

The BBC are reporting the Remain figure as 40.1%, made up of LD, CUK, SNP, PC & Greens
Leave is 34.9% - Br + UKip.

I find the turnout thoroughly dispiriting. The other thread is built on the idea that the EU isn’t democratic yet given a chance about a third of the country bothers to vote. And of that about a third positively want to leave. Given that we were led to believe that this was going to be a massive boost for Brexit, it’s a very very damp squib confirming only what many of us suspect, that outside of a noisy bunch of proponents for leaving, the vast majority aren’t bothered enough to make a small detour on the way home from work or to give Eastenders a miss and take part in the democratic exercise that apparently is so important that we need to risk economic growth for it.

35% of a 37% turnout explicitly voted leave. Hardly conclusive is it?

1 Like

As I said in the brexit thread, all that seems to have happened is that the UKIP voters last time round switched to Farage and he picked up a few votes from disaffected Tories/Labour. The undisputable fact is that 2/3 of voters rejected the hard WTO brexit you are advocating.
As for Farage for PM I hope to god that was a joke.