Exciting amp upgrade

Taken a punt on a refurbished (by naim) supernait 2 ( I have a powerline already) to replace my nait xs2 with nd5xs2… hoping for a good upgrade!! I guess a few of you have made this change…

8 Likes

I went from XS2 to SN2, fantastic step up. Best amp I’ve ever owned. Previous amps included Rotel , Yamaha, Marantz Sugden and Quad.

3 Likes

Nicely done, I’m sure you’ll be happy with the move. Keep an eye out for a HiCap DR to put on the SN2 at some point.
It’s quite a nice step on from the XS NAIT, you’ll have a moment in the early stages of feeling like you have new speakers no doubt, feels a lot more grown up and in command than the XS is with a path to nice refinements to be had with adding in a HiCap to drive the preamp on the SN2.

4 Likes

I went from a Superuniti to an SN2 that I feed with an NDS. The SN2 sounds excellent, and was a solid step up from the SU.
I recently added a 5 pin Din to 5 pin Din Hi-line that I got on Ebay for a steal, and it improved the SQ even more; by quite a bit, really. I was surprised.

Dave

1 Like

XS2 to SN3 here…a big step up. Once you have the SN2, flee this place…
I didn’t and now have a 282. Another step up - though I won’t know how much by until my SN3 returns from hospital (to be the power amp until a 250DR hoves into view).

Get the SN2, well worth it… and run!

3 Likes

Quote of the day! lol.
Congrats! @Hifi-dog

3 Likes

I’ve had naim pre and power amps up to the 552/500. No doubt that the more you spend the more accomplished the sound, but I currently own a SN3 with a HiCap, having had both previous Supernaits. I think the Supernait is a real sweet spot in the range. Of course you can get much better, but you’ll definitely be able to get to the heart of the music with your SN.

6 Likes

Ooh sooo excited now, arriving tomorrow !! Ta fellas!

2 Likes

Wise words as always from the wise Monkey.

2 Likes

Well it’s in and been on overnight. I’d say a very different presentation from xs2/hicap. More together and cohesive but I’d say less hard hitting in the bass? But it could just be better controlled. Looking forward to a proper listen later today!

Minimum 3 days in my experience. If it doesn’t sound too good after that, check cables.

1 Like

You’re running SN2 + HiCap DR I assume?

You’ll find the bottom end will be tighter and more defined, not necessarily extended or richer, you’re simply getting more of what is actually there in the music and less colouration.

You may also want to experiment a little with speaker positioning as well to fine tune your soundstage relative to listening position.

1 Like

I’m running the amp bare as I only had on old hicap which I’ve sold to help fund the upgrade. Realise that a dr hicap is the next step. Next yr tho when finances recovered! It’s deffo more refined and easier to listen to at the moment

Ahh ok, my mistake in that case!
You’ll probably want to let it settle in for a few days, if it’s had any miles on the clock already it won’t need long to bed in regardless, usually within an hour of it being powered on cold it’s settled to where it wants to be.
Certainly worth a review and potential adjustment of the speaker positioning, the bottom end won’t be more extended but will be more defined and controlled with more defined decay. The midrange should open up more relative to your XS2 and have better cohesion and separation in the mids to upper mids.
Adding a HiCap DR will clean that up further and push the bottom end a bit and put more transparency in the mid range.

It’s a 2013 model but came from Naim as refurbished in sealed Naim box with all new accessories. I’ve asked if they did anything to it as part of refurb so it may indeed need to run in a bit.

Best advice is to have it on and playing music as much as possible, they don’t like being sat left idle!
No harm experimenting a little with speaker positioning, I did mine not long ago having had them in the same spot for ages and was pleasantly surprised with how moving them around improved the soundstage.
Looking forward to the HiCap DR going in at some point, come back soon on that one :wink:

1 Like

As the Nait XS2 had a Hicap it probably wasn’t massively inferior to a bare SN2 tbh assuming your speakers are a relatively easy load. The SN will improve a little over the next few hours but won’t transform. Maybe look for a pre-loved Hicap DR - they are not that rare…

1 Like

Indeed, when I can afford one…even now it seems to be better. The Xs/hicap was an exciting listen that threw music from my neats whilst the Supernait seems more grown up and calmer. Plenty of detail and texture, just presented in a more relaxing way.

1 Like

Give the nd5xs2 a month or two, seriously

1 Like

Oh the nd5 is 18 months old so all good there

2 Likes