9 Likes

Any idea what year this was?

Sorry no … I’ll see if I can find it. Sadly it’s not in my history - sorry

1 Like

https://fb.watch/rhfEYs7T4z/?

Animated map of the battle of Waterloo

Most successful music artists in area.

4 Likes

It’s interesting and presumably more than a bit subjective.

Cher Lloyd is from my county. Never heard of her. What about Robert Plant, John Bonham, Jim Capaldi, or perhaps Edward Elgar?? Even Harry bleeding Styles. Grrr.

1 Like

A desperate attempt to steal Olivia Newton John from the place she called home. Shame shame shame. :grin:

3 Likes

er… I thought Olivia Newton John was Aussie.

Born in Cambridge

And moved to Australia at a very early age. She grow up in Melbourne. Gee next you’ll be wanting the credit for the Bee Gees. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

AC/DC were British though. :thinking:

Oh no they won’t. :grin:

Oh yes they were,:rofl:

5 Likes

On this day in 1471, a Lancastrian army arrived at Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire. Edmund Beaufort, Duke of Somerset considered the Rivers Avon and Severn to be a problem, his men, about 6,000 of them were weary and needed to rest, so a defensive position was taken a mile south of the town.

The Battle of Tewkesbury would take place the next day.

On this day 1471 Sir John Donne of Kidwelly was knighted on the battlefield following the Battle of Tewkesbury during the Wars of the Roses.

The Battle of Tewkesbury:

Henry VI’s Lancastrian army marched toward the Welsh border in order to recruit more troops. Knowing that Edward IV and his Yorkist army were trying to intercept them, they took up a strong defensive at Tewkesbury. When Edward reached Tewkesbury he immediately engaged the enemy and routed the Lancastrians. The result of the battle was that Henry VI’s son, Edward the Prince of Wales, died in battle and his wife Queen Margaret was captured.

The Donnes of Kidwelly were a distinguished family. John’s father, Gruffydd, had fought at the Battle of Agincourt and his mother, Joan Scudamore, was a grandchild of Owain Glyndŵr. In his late teens, John entered the service of the Duke of York, father of Edward IV, later becoming Edward’s Esquire of the Body (personal attendant). After the Battle of Tewkesbury, John was given lands in Buckinghamshire and as a mark of the high esteem in which he was held, he was buried next to Edward IV in St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle.

5 Likes

In a way, the American tourist was not totally wrong, given that many cities in Roman Italy had a grid design.

That’s correct Daan, I think we both must have visited Xanten at some point in our lives or had a Latin book with a chapter about Roman city layouts.

But those Americans in Sienna? They were like teleported hillbilllies who by mistake ended up in Sienna! :slight_smile:

Half litre beers - a rarity in southern Europe.

1 Like

4 Likes

What have the Romans done for us?

2 Likes

We should do a Forum poll!
What Roman are you?

1 Like