Fascinating Maps and diagrams

No war ! ! just tradition.
Traditional “cream tea” (with scone) cream is clotted cream and strawberry jam.
The traditional stuff is how to add the filling, it can be jam first or cream first.
Cornwall is always jam first, cream on top.
Devon is cream followed by jam.
Outside the west country, it’s just personal preference.

Victoria Sponge does have cream with jam, but it’s the cream is butter cream, whipped butter and icing sugar, plus a touch of vanilla.
Jam can be anything red, normally strawberry or raspberry.

2 Likes

The scones look ok to me, but I’m upside down :grin:

3 Likes

The jam and cream thing never used to bother me, then for the past four or five years, each Sunday I cook for Mother in law, every so often that includes scones. Every time I do so she trots out that people outside Cornwall don’t know how to eat scones. She moved there on retirement and stayed for 12 of her 92 years. Guess how she ate them before!
My first holiday job whilst at school was at a third generation family bakers. He was adamant that cream or buttercream was a post war affectation and refused to use anything other than Robertson’s strawberry jam. He also refused to use margarine.

4 Likes

Large Scale Maps Solar System Size Comparison

8 Likes

Puts us in perspective…

I know, it’s not a diagram or map…but meant as a companion to Geoff’s post.

7 Likes

Scary isn’t it when you look at it like that. Just imagine if it collapsed. :flushed:

1 Like

European sneezes.

5 Likes

Imagine when it goes red giant:laughing:

That’s one advantage of being elderly, I shan’t be around to see it. :wink:

2 Likes

Lol, no- one will!
Our own stupidity will get us long before…

4 Likes

One for @Camphuw , seen in an NT shop

3 Likes

6 Likes

Ynys Enlli / Bardsey Island archaeological features. Located 1.9 miles off the Llŷn Peninsula, North Wales. I stayed for a week in April and took a quick snap on my phone.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Rich Hall once observed that in the state of Alabama evolution appears to be travelling in the opposite direction :thinking:

2 Likes

As are a lot a places.

1 Like

3 Likes

Laundry art by Helga Stentzel

12 Likes

10 Likes

4 Likes