Fascinating Maps and diagrams

I’ve always liked maps … here’s an opportunity to share interesting examples of cartography.

13 Likes

Love me a good map. Here are two I bought in France where they use modern geography but with the political divisions shown as they were in the years 1000 (upper) and 1500 (lower):

Mark

6 Likes

That looks much like I did as a teenager. I’ve drawn maps for many hours. School didn’t like me since I didn’t do what was told me to do and was kicked out. Disastrous schools.

Anyhow. I’ll try to find a 1913 map in the coming days and post it here. Europe looked so uncomplicated in that year until Gavrillo Principe’s shot.

4 Likes

Here’s an online map for you, of all UK & Irish railways:

Same site also has UK Canals.

3 Likes

This is one of my favourite maps of the eastern Caribbean:

2 Likes

Lots of fascinating maps here:

4 Likes

My map wall. Few more dotted around the house. All Hertfordshire.

4 Likes

A couple of cartoon maps hanging in the Bothy… :smiley:

IMG_0012

IMG_0013

3 Likes

Love a good map. Few dotted around our house. The Suffolk one is a 1952 Ordnance Survey

4 Likes

This is the map my dad used during the D-Day landings. I know it doesn’t look like it, but it’s actually been restored.

Belongs to my brother now, all down to the toss of a coin. :crying_cat_face:

I used to have a large collection of WW2 maps, but I’ve sold most of them.

15 Likes

Map of Boston Harbor - Had it framed 30 years ago and has traveled with me and hung on my walls in a few cities around the county.

Fascinating for me since it is my home town and learned to sail on Boston Harbor. Also would camp on the Great Brewster Island with friends during the summer months. Now living in Seattle there is lots of opportunities for sailing and camping on Islands as well! Life is sweet…

6 Likes

Not so much a map but still fascinating.

10 Likes

This is an unusual map of Tegelen.

Its purpose is to indicate ‘the going’ in various areas. Obviously useful if you’re a tank commander not wishing to be a ‘stick in the mud’ :scream:

1 Like

Some of the stories of ancient maps based on hearsay rather than solid navigation can be interesting.
That of phantom islands believed to have existed for centuries.
Didn’t the romans believe in Doggerland just off Britain that could have been there but now submerged. Also an island north but not as north as the Faroe Islands?

1 Like

Where is this please? Asking for a friend.

5 Likes

I guess the civilization once living in the Doggersbank in the midst of the Northsea.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Here’s my original 1631 map.

6 Likes

18 Likes

Well that reminds me of a panicking American bloke who asked me the way to go to a certain place in Siena, Italy. He was asking how many blocks in X direction and Y direction but anyone who has been in Siena knows that principle doesn’t work there.

5 Likes