Fascinating Maps and diagrams

Hy Brasil. A mythical island west of Ireland. Shrouded by fog and only appears on special days.
Probably the birthplace of Merlin himself!

3 Likes

Same in Japan!

1 Like

This is my winter Kyiv tube I brought from Splash Maps.

3 Likes

Part of a map that I find personally fascinating and which we have hanging up in the entrance hallway. It was found by a friend and dates from 1769. It shows where we live although the house is just a tiny gamekeepers cottage in the woods at this point…

6 Likes

My grandfather’s map of the farm, which I think he bought at auction in 1918/9; however, my brother says he bought it after seeing an advert in the papers following the auction. Sadly I only have a single field now. The map was useful when I was thinking about a name for my field: picket piece.

10 Likes

7 Likes

I am always intrigued by Metro/Subway/Underground/Tube maps.

The one provided by the public transport agency in Amsterdam is hideous:

But could look like this:

The one from Rotterdam could look like this Mondreaan inspired map, but doesn’t:

5 Likes

Hmm. I first see a Swastika and only the a tube map. That symbol is not quite popular in Rotterdam for reasons you doubtlessly know well.

2 Likes

Wow… I did not see this. And not my intent to share this if I had. But is it really there?

Well almost :slight_smile:

No harm in sharing, it’s my association.

I’ve been in India in a wedding a few years ago and apparently the symbol brings luck there so it was painted on the car of the groom …

2 Likes

A map well remembered from my childhood.

I have a framed version somewhere but heaven knows where it’s gone!

14 Likes

Quite a clever way of giving a lot of information in a simple picture/map.

6 Likes

Most definitely the most fascinating maps were those used by pirates.

Having unannounced and undisclosed routes of passage to confuse the authorities of that time to trade as they wished.

The treasure map certainly holds a place close to heart

3 Likes

I have this on the wall of my office. Anyone who works with presenting data in any kind of graphical form – and that’s most white collar workers these days – should get a copy of Edward Tufte’s books and (ideally) attend one of his conferences.

3 Likes

Hi @Corry,
Do you mean “The Visual Display of Quantitative Information” or some other reference. Will try to find a copy, although it may have to be second hand.

Trench map showing the front lines for my Grandad when he was stationed in France early 1917

11 Likes

He’s written five books to date, of which I have the first three. All are worth getting, not just because of the content, but because they’re beautifully designed and produced.

2 Likes

Just two ordinary road maps of Sweden…:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Gloucester in 1924

7 Likes

Now this could be useful … an affordable pub crawl in Bristol.

3 Likes