Faure Requiem

I like this one

That’s my favourite, have it on DMM vinyl.

1 Like

Thanks again guys.

That is the 1984 recording by Rutter and the Cambridge Singers which went on to win the Gramophone Award for choral record of the year, in 1985 I think. It was indeed the first recording of the 1893 version, but it’s on the Collegium label, not Hyperion. Collegium was set up as a home for recordings of the Cambridge Singers which Rutter established a few years before and I believe operated, at least at first, from a studio in Rutter’s garden! Collegium recordings can now be downloaded from the Hyperion website but they’re not part of the Hyperion label.

The version in HH’s post, which I also have, comes from 1988 and simply adds about 20 minutes of other choral music by FaurĂ©, recorded a few years later. Subsequently a mid-price version was issued but I don’t know if it was remastered.

In whichever version, it’s an excellent recording and definitely worth a listen for anyone who loves the work.

Roger

I am just finishing up listening to this version for the first time, I believe.

I do appreciate the sound in and of itself - the transparent, crystal clear texture, the smaller forces with individual voices discernible, especially tenors and trebles, good diction, a delicacy to the orchestral playing, and a real sense of the space in which it was recorded. I am a big fan of Rutter/Cambridge Singers generally.

But I have to admit that, to my ears, that sound works less well here. Yes, I know I must be in the minority, especially given the Grammophone award, what Rutter says about how Faure conceived the work, etc. Perhaps it is just what I am used to hearing, but I have always considered the Faure Requiem to be a larger-scale work, with a more robust and round choral texture, a bigger orchestra, and just two adult soloists - a baritone/bass and lyric soprano. I like the Rutter arrangement (I am not sure I have even heard the larger, oft-criticized orchestral version from 1900, as my experience with the work all takes place after the Rutter version was recorded and published), but the Cambridge Singers and instrumental ensemble just seem too small and exposed to me here. I don’t get the same goosebumps I get listening to larger choruses. And I am not sure why there is now a tenor soloist in the Offertoire, but it doesn’t work to my ears. Using a baritone/bass seems more consistent with the feel of the movement.

Just one man’s opinion, of course!

2 Likes

No, you’re not the only one @maison00! Have a look at my post 7 further up - I’d recommend trying the 2014 King’s/Cleobury recording.

Mark

This is lovely Sanctus - The purity is off the scale

I have this one. No idea how it rates but I like it.
IMG_2509

That’s the version that I had in mind. I have it on CD - do you know if it’s still available as a DMM LP? (I shall have a look.)

1 Like

Sorry I don’t - from memory I purchased it in WH Smiths 30 years ago :neutral_face:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.