Favourite adverts from the 1970s and 80s

7 Likes

Love this one as well, really got me into Nina Simone

This is a music forum after all. Russ Abbot’s approach to fishing with the help of Des O’Connor.

Ok, so it was for a tobacco product but who remembers that!

3 Likes
5 Likes

I think the most memorable UK ads for me were either the Hamlet ads or the lovely Janis Levy doing the ad for Cadbury’s Flake.

In the US it was undoubtedly the Wendy’s ad with the three old ladies asking “Where’s the Beef?”

4 Likes

Brill.

1 Like

Gets my vote. Ross McManus (of Joe Loss fame) on lead vocals, son E. Costello on backing vocals !

2 Likes

You beat me to it!

4 Likes
3 Likes

Ah thanks for posting that. Still a great advert.

1 Like

This could double up as the things that make you feel old thread too! My childhood laid out in adverts.

1 Like

During the summer of 1971, I worked as a mail clerk at Doyle Dane Bernbach, which was in the process of reinventing the American TV (and sometimes print) ad. Great campaigns included Alka Seltzer (“That’s a spicy meatball!”), Volkswagen (“It’s ugly, but it gets you there.”), and Mobil Oil (“The parts of your engine speak out.”).

Unfortunately, I can’t find many of them on YouTube. Here’s one of the better known Alka Seltzer ads.

2 Likes

This series takes me back to the mid-70s.

12 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Another Cole Bailey.

4 Likes

Brilliant, and I remember a headline in the papers at the time about Vauxhall workers being sacked for using their initiative and copying the ‘Aliens’ out of car parts, talk about stopping people using their noddle!!

1 Like

Did it inspire this classic scene?

3 Likes

One of his best films imo.

2 Likes