Favourite Christmas Carol

I love many popular yet traditional carols.

For me, my favourite may be the Coventry Carol, simply beautiful harmonies, and often sends a shiver down my spine.

Found a nice version on this:

2 Likes

Oh come, oh come Emmanuel , the simplicity especially if sung by a boy soprano

2 Likes

Beautiful, I must confess I’m not familiar at all with that. Mrs AC knows it as she went to a Church school.

Qobuz/Tidal searches only turned up rather modern interpretations. Any recommendations for recordings?

Found this on YouTube:

I tend to associate with the service of Nine Lessons and Carols where it is often the first hymn rather than a specific singer

Few can sing this. Exceptional. “Once in Royal David’s city” or “The shepherds Carol”.

1 Like

Thank you Ian - when I was young our family were Welsh Chapel goers with fire and brimstone minsters, passion and gorgeous hymns sung in Welsh - Anglican (I hope) services are somehwat unfamiliar to me, which is perhaps why I don’t know this well.

Beautiful, peaceful and calming, thank you Malla.

Before the one you note I found this which is probably older but somehwat haunting:

1 Like

The problem with fire and brimstone it gets in the way of love and kindness …

1 Like

I may be exaggerating, perhaps it was just the oratory style of the minister of whom I have only the fondest memories, but love and kindness, as well as humanity were there in abundance.

My maternal grandfather was a deacon at the chapel, my parents were baptised and married there.

My maternal grandmother was a great cook. The minister, his family and others generally retired to my grandmother’s for tea and exceptional cakes after most services - a tad boring for me as a young lad who had to keep quiet, but fond memories nonetheless.

I look at recent online photos of the chapel in disbelief and sadness - railings stolen, vandalised windows, leaking roofs and rotting pews.

Just mixed the sound for a big carol service and this was my favourite song

1 Like

Classic FM’s 2018 list - 2019 voting due in a few days…

1 Like

What a great shame. Churches are so much more than just buildings, they are places where we have some of darkest moments and best

2 Likes

Liane Carroll singing ‘In The Bleak Midwinter’.

2 Likes

Enya singing silent night

1 Like

Can’t really choose, but In the bleak midwinter a capella is my current favourite with these two runner ups:

This is the book:

2 Likes

Interestingly I purchased this a few years ago - it ended up in storage and hasn’t seen much use as yet - I can’t find it now, but saw it somewhere a week or two ago!

Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 09.27.23

I wonder if it’s a compilation of books 1 and 2 of the version you have?

edit:

Well there’s a coincidence given Ian2001’s comments above about the service of Nine Lessons and Carols - the Amazon write-up for the book I purchased says:

74 of the most popular items from Carols for Choirs 1, 2 and 3 in one volume, plus 26 pieces new to the series. The volume contains both accompanied and unaccompanied items, and the Order of Service for a Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols. Orchestral and brass ensemble accompaniments for many of the items are available on hire.

3 Likes

I must have that one somewhere as well. I have stacks of songbooks all over the place from various countries. No appearance of one of my own melodies yet unfortunately :slight_smile: Regarding John Rutter, Last week my little church choir sang his Christmas Lullaby. Always rewarding music.

Got this as a present last year:

2 Likes

Treble

Well I prefer epiphany… ‘as with gladness men of old’

1 Like

Good to see the comma after Merry.