Favourite Christmas Carol

I quite like Eric Clapton’s version from his Christmas album (Happy Xmas) of last year. Nice bluesy feel to it.

I had forgotten this one; perhaps not the best version, but a great tune.

1 Like

Celine Dion - O Holy night. Her voice just has that something that touches me.

I’ve sung more from the various Carols for Choirs books than I could possibly remember over the years. I sang several pieces from it last night, and I’ll be doing so again at Midnight Mass tomorrow (at St John’s Devizes, if anyone’s nearby and interested, and if I’m allowed a quasi-advert within forum rules). Many of the David Willcocks descants are as well-loved as the carols/hymns they were written for.

Some comments on those mentioned above:

Coventry Carol is one of my favourites too. Do you prefer the original 15th/16th century version or Martin Shaw’s 20th century arrangement? It’s usually the latter on most recordings.

In the Bleak Midwinter is a very popular set of words, but do you prefer the Holst or Darke melodies? The Holst is more prevalent, but most musicians of my acquaintance prefer the Darke (as do I).

O come O come Emmanuel is also great, although (being very ecclesiastically pedantic) it is an Advent hymn rather than a Christmas carol. The words are very closely based on the ancient Advent O antiphons (see wikipedia if necessary) which are used liturgically right now, in the last days of Advent.

I could bore for Britain on this subject, so I’ll leave it there for now.

Mark

4 Likes

I’m always intrigued by the genesis of Bethlehem Down. Written in 1927 by Peter Warlock (music) and Bruce Blunt (words) to finance a heavy drinking session, the music itself could hardly be more different from what this might suggest. Beautiful and peaceful with a spine-tingling cadence at the end of each verse, it’s not surprising that this has entered the repertoire and been recorded by nearly all the major choirs and vocal groups. So take your pick from your favourite choir.

Happy Christmas

Roger

Apologies, this was meant to be a general contribution, not a response to perttu.

1 Like

I tend towards Julsang, Cantate Domino being my favourite seasonal album (that, when the mood takes me I play at any time of the year, even requesting it at a demo at the Bristol Show).
Sadly missed the Kate Rusby programme on Radio 3 on Saturday, that is real carols.
Tomorrow, 9:30pm on Radio 3 the story of The Coventry Carol.
Currently listening to Catriona O’Leary, The Wexford Carol’s. Beautiful singing, include Rhiannon Giddens. If I was being picky, I might suggest that the meaning of carol as a verb has been missed.

A class is - another one that sends shivers down my spine

2 Likes

i suppose so, if you’re living in the 16th or 17th century!

I just want to put in a quick word for “A Ceremony of Carols” by Benjamin Britain. It’s magic music originally written and arranged for a three part choir of treble voices accompanied by a harp.

Best

David

1 Like

I’m with you there, David. I remember hearing this many years ago in King’s College Chapel sung by the choir with Osian Ellis (for whom Britten wrote many parts) playing the harp. A quite magical experience.

Roger

1 Like

War Pigs

Indeed. In the ‘similar yet different’ category is Vaughan Williams’ Fantasia on Christmas Carols. It’s on a very pleasant Chandos CD with other RVW Christmas stuff with Richard Hickox conducting.

Oh and then there’s Berlioz’s L’Enfance du Christ. Once more, I could go on, but my brother-in-law gave me a bottle of Glenlivet Captain’s Reserve which is showing no inclination to drink itself.

Mark

John Berry - O Holy Night

I first heard this in the early 90’s (1993?) and just loved his voice and bought the album.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.