Favourite Coleman Hawkins albums

Looking to expand my Coleman Hawkins collection on cd, so I can rip them for listening. Suggestions appreciated.

You don’t say what you already have but, The High And Mighty Hawk for swing, and Desifinado Bossa Nova And Jazz Samba are two very nice albums of his.

2 Likes

Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins, on Impulse!

1 Like

I’ve yet to hear one I didn’t like.

2 Likes

Do you not have a streaming subscription?
Listen to everything then pick your faves.

1 Like

I could do that but I prefer to know the source of the music and the version and year of the cd pressing. Like with vinyl, not all cd masters are equal. I have found that my ripped cd’s generally sound better than streamed “equivalents” plus I own the music and am no longer subject to streaming music catalogue deletions.

1 Like

I haven’t said which cd’s I own already to start with a clean slate. As it happens, I do already have High and mighty Hawk but the Desinifado sounds like one to look out for. Thanks for taking the time.

2 Likes

Good choice!

1 Like

1 Like

One to consider. Ta!

His duets with Ben Webster are favorites of mine. Looks like Verve (as well as at least one other label) has packaged some/all of them several times over the years.

1 Like

I quite likje The Hawk Flies High (1957) with these sidemen:

• Hank Jones - piano
  • Oscar Pettiford - Bass
  • Jo Jones - Drums
  • Barry Galbraith - guitar
  • J.J. Johnson - trombone
  • Idrees Sulieman - trumpet
2 Likes

No Coleman Hawkins collection would be complete without an album containing his famous 1939 recording “Body & Soul”…

61ZD4etCVpL.SY355

Body & Soul AllMusic Review

by Scott Yanow

Much of the material on this two-LP set has been since reissued on CD, but, one way or the other, this music (particularly the first 16 tracks) belongs in every serious jazz collection. In 1939, Hawkins returned to the U.S. after five years in Europe, and it took him very little time to reassert his prior dominance as king of the tenors. This set starts off with the session that resulted in Hawk’s classic version of “Body and Soul,” teams him with Benny Carter (on trumpet) for some hot swing (including a memorable rendition of “My Blue Heaven”), and then finds Hawkins using younger musicians (including trumpeter Fats Navarro and trombonist J.J. Johnson) on some advanced bop originals highlighted by “Half Step Down Please.” The remainder of this set is also good, but less historic, with Hawkins being well-showcased with three larger groups in 1956, culminating in a remake of “Body and Soul.”

Streaming on Qobuz but available on a RCA Victor CD.

Enjoy

Dave

3 Likes

1 Like

Interesting, not seen this one before. Ta!

A couple more recommended. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Love the first but not seen or heard the second. Thanks for the suggestions.

Your most welcome here is the artwork for a couple mentioned earlier.

2 Likes

So it’s time for the big reveal to show folks what I’ve got.
Plenty of options to add to my collection, so thanks for the suggestions folks.

2 Likes

Nice collection only one overlap for me.
DESAFINADO. is a must have. :+1:t2:

1 Like