Favourite concept album

What’s the album cover with the dome in the lake? Looks very Floyd!!

J

4 Likes

I like both sides of Ogden’s - and the final track says it all. Life is just a bowl of all bran, you wake up every morning and it’s there.

Some great concept albums have already been listed, but if I may add a few then

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

9 Likes

Great record but for some reason None of Spacemen 3 records are on Tidal :disappointed:

I love the songs, it’s just Unwin who gets right up my shonker.

1 Like

Tricky. One of several:

3 Likes

Kate Bush’s Ninth Wave on Hounds of Love. I guess it’s only half a concept album, but it’ll do for me. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Good choice!

The Wall by PF for me.
Although I recognize that in terms of historical importance, Sgt Pepper can’t be topped.

1 Like

There are a few that come to mind:
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
Roger Waters - The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking
Pink Floyd - The Wall
ELO - Out of the Blue
Elbow - Seldom Seen Kid
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

But if I had to pick one it’d be Pros and Cons. Having said that, I’m just listening to Songs for the Deaf…

1 Like

Songs for Deaf one of my all time rock favourites

1 Like

There are so many great ones to choose from, but when it boils down to just one, it has to be Electric Light Orchestra’s Eldorado;

7 Likes

Eldorado is Jeff Lynne’s masterpiece IMHO - whenever I play it then it stays with me all day and I can’t get it out of my head, but here it comes, another lonely day, playing the game, I’ll sail away on a voyage of no return to see if eternal life is meant to be.

Strangely it didn’t sell as well as other ELO albums when it was first out, but, for me, it really is at the pinnacle of great rock music.

2 Likes

My late father, who recently passed away, loved ELO and it rubbed off on me. I can remember the excitement when he came home with Out of the Blue on vinyl and later Discovery. Naturally I pinched them for myself, and later took his vinyl copy of Face The Music when he no longer played vinyl.

I can remember us playing Discovery in the car on cassette constantly as we drove as a family around Bournemouth hunting for a B&B during a school holiday break after prior arrangements fell through or were unsuitable.

Thanks so much for the recommendation! I’ve never really listened to it properly before, dad didn’t have it on vinyl AFAIK. It’s on repeat tonight and very enjoyable it is too!

4 Likes

Oddly enough, I’ve never heard this, so I’m booking it on Tidal.

2 Likes

Something slightly different and of recent years
A Pocket of wind resistance
By Karine Polwart and Pippa Murphy !
A beautiful album that warms the heart and can even raise a tear or two.

The Hazards of love, The Decemberists

3 Likes

For anyone who likes to spin LPs, the current Sony vinyl reissue is excellent and also relatively inexpensive, often available for as little as a tenner.

Hard to go past (anything) by Roger Waters This Is The Life We Really Want?

6 Likes

@Mike_S you’re obviously too young. :grin:

Too old to remember, I think some days. As it happens, I had heard the second track, something about “can’t get it out of my head’, but it wasn’t Kylie :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like