Favourite Drummers

Not sure if he is any good or not as the music he played was not really my cup of tea, but he did make a bit of an impression on me when I was younger seeing him on Top of the Pops, Mr Cosy Powell. He seemed very rock and roll to me as a youngster.

1 Like

Bill Ward

Nowā€¦

download

and thenā€¦

downloady%20(1)

Genuinely; my son. Heā€™s 18 and started with school drum lessons at 13. I like to think me nudging him towards bands with decent drummers like LZ, Yes, Queen a bit etc and then letting him discover his own path gave him the insight into whatā€™s involved.

I rolled up at home the other day from work, he was on his own playing along to something on Youtube and it was superb, full-blooded with a rock solid base to build on. I let him finish before letting him know I was back.

Apologies, heā€™s not famous, not even on YT himself afaik, but itā€™s hugely satisfying to walk into home to be met by something that sounds better than anything my Naim gear can serve up.

6 Likes

Iā€™m not a big fan of drum solos, and although I loved seeing Keith Moon and John Bonham, they were stretched when asked to play other than common time. However, if weā€™re talking jazz drummers, there are some true masters. Of course, Tony Williams springs to mind, as do Art Blakey, Paul Motian and Philly Joe Jones. I realise Iā€™ve missed some exceptional jazz drummers, but not having access to my record collection, Iā€™m reliant solely on my memory and to those I have forgotten, I do apologise.

1 Like

To see Buddy Rich, three times, meet him and his daughter, Iā€™m not sure any one else can compare.
The style is totally different, but Gene Krupa has to come next.
Modern style, someone who keeps changing, stays the same and has been there for decades - Sly Dunbar.
Then, quiet, understated, professional - James Blades!

2 Likes

Senri Kawaguchi.
Worth looking out for

3 Likes
1 Like

One of the first of my many faves:

The Buzzcocks - Moving Away From The Pulsebeat

John Maher - The young punk drummer genius from Manchester

RIP Pete Shelley 1955 -2018

2 Likes

I saw Quasi play live once with Janet Weiss on drums. She was fantastic, absolute powerhouse.

According to a drummer friend, and my son who is a semi-pro drummer of pretty reasonable ability, Ringo is a vastly underrated drummer.

5 Likes

His son Zak is far better in my opinion. I saw him play with The Who a few times and he was excellent.

1 Like

Judged on a technical basis you may well be right Bob. What I like about Ringoā€™s drumming is how invisible it is until taken away, if that makes sense? My son says itā€™s actually quite difficult to emulate, and that Ringo has a gift for somehow making it look simple and effortless.

4 Likes

How does he compare with Jason Bonham?

Thatā€™s a matter of taste of course and because (I know Iā€™m in the minority here) like The Beatles I think Led Zeppelin are hugely overrated Iā€™d have to say Zak Starkey.
Just my opinion and personal taste I know but I just donā€™t get The Beatles at all and apart from having a great lead singer Led Zeppelin wouldnā€™t stand out.

apart from having a great lead singer Led Zeppelin wouldnā€™t stand out.
[/quote]

:open_mouth:

2 Likes

Yeh Jimmy Page was pretty naff toošŸ˜³

1 Like