Favourite haunts for chamber music recitals

I guess the title speaks for itself.
On the harmonia mundi and ECM new series labels the concert programs are given.

Some years ago I went to the little missenden music festival in Buckinghamshire in an old church in a beautiful part of England. I saw Paul Lewis perform Beethoven diabelli variations and Schubert impromptus d935. The person who organised it passed away but it still continues. Very enjoyable.

The only other one was Isabelle Faust and Alexander Melnikov perform some Beethoven violin sonatas in an old church saint Pierre sue l’Hâte in a small village in Alsace.

I really enjoyed these.

I was wondering if people would share some hidden gems like this where they enjoy good music

2 Likes

It’s hardly a hidden gem, but when I lived in London I spent a lot of time at the Wigmore Hall, fantastic acoustics and top-class musicians.
When I’ve been hiking in the Dales I’ve been to some lovely concerts at St Andrew’s Church Aysgarth, it’s a beautiful country church with lovely resonant acoustics. They usually have a couple of chamber concerts a month over the summer.

4 Likes

There are so many great places around. So many great recitals in there

There is also St. George’s in Bristol where many recordings on the Hyperion label are recorded. I also saw Paul Lewis again perform the last 3 piano sonatas of Schubert. Great acoustics in what I believe was an old Masonic hall

The charm of the old churches is yes also good acoustics but also not so well known and some artists like to get away to those smaller venues

2 Likes

In NYC the 92nd St. Y.

2 Likes

St John’s on the Iffley Road in Oxford has some excellent concerts with top flight performers.

3 Likes

St. John’s, Smith Square, London, SW1.
Used to be used by Decca to record a lot of small/medium sized works especially by Neville Marriner conducting. Not a popular choice these days.
Potton Hall in Suffolk is used quite a lot now.
Maltings at Snape. Is that getting a bit too big? Too small for Bruckner.

2 Likes

Hello Douglas
No not at all. I’m just curious and interested to know of places where people have been and have seen some nice performances outside of what might be considered usual venues.
Sometimes these are very worthwhile places to experience musical performances. More intimate and relaxed (although sometimes not comfortable) settings.

Related to your post on favourite haunts Mtuttleb I have just purchased the book " Classical Recordings: a practical guide in the Decca tradition" after a review by Andrew Everard in an issue of Hi-Fi News last year.
Its a comprehensive guide of nearly 400 pages and shows that its much more than bunging up a couple of micrphones and hoping for the best.
£30 plus but if you are interested how a recording session and post production both work then its really worth while.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.