Favourite HOT sauces (and BBQ sauces !)

I have a fondness for Green Tabasco.

Lately I make my own BBQ sauce. The key ingredient is finding smoked soy sauce. A dash of this in the BBQ sauce is amazing.

4 Likes

I use a combination of chipotle powder and smoked paprika. Unfortunately as my daughter can’t have it I rarely use aoy anymore.

1 Like

I’ve never even heard of that - Salty, Smoky, Umami though - what’s not to like about that?!?

Our Aussie friends swear by this stuff, I don’t know whether it would get past the sense of humour police in the U.K. though.

4 Likes

As per Tobyjug, I make my own. I use Nigella Lawsons chilli jam recipe, available on internet.
I don’t boil the jam til it gets really thick, preferring a pouring consistency. My preferred chillis are cayenne peppers which I grow in my greenhouse.
They are extremely hot and the first time I made this sauce I thought it was so hot I’d have to pour it down the sink. A little perseverance and your tolerance soon builds up. Roll on the chilli growing season.

3 Likes

I don’t have a picture to share, but in a similar vein I remember an American friend recommending “Rectal Rocket Fluid”.

On the other hand I also remember a chilli sauce sold in Tesco that was called “Dave”. It was extremely hot and a shop assistant told us later that a customer had brought a bottle back to complain that it was dangerous. He wanted it taken off sale, not just his money back. The junior manager who was summoned to deal with the complaint was unwise enough to shake some onto his hand and lick it. They took it off sale…

Best

David

1 Like

My favourite is Barbados hot sauce. I was introduced to this many years ago by my sister-in-law, who is a Barbados resident. Excellent on hot dogs made with home made pork sausages from the pigs we raise ourselves. The other sauce I like is the Habanero version of Tabasco, which has a more complex flavour than the original. Did folks know that Tabasco Sauce used to be basically a waste product and the main product of the McIlhenny Company on Avery Island, Louisiana in the 19th Century, was pickled red chillies.

2 Likes

Prompted by this thread, I’ve just started a small batch of fermented chilli sauce.
Looking online there seems a few variations.
From brining whole chillies for a while then whizzing up. To blending up a mash to ferment.
Some then cooking it and others leaving to further slow ferment once vinegar or citrus acids are added.
Sriracha types are mostly cooked, thus killing off any probiotic bacteria. Fermented food is what everyone’s championing these days.
I’ve started a mash of bramley Apple. Green finger, Fresno, Thai Birdseye and habanero chillies. Garlic. Some honey and soy sauce with a splash of mineral water.
Going to leave this a few days then decide once sieved and some apple cider vinegar is added to cook it or not.
Some recommend to keep a fermented chilli sauce once it’s finished in a squeeze ketchup type bottle with a nozzle top in the fridge. As still slowly fermenting and giving off gas. In an airtight container it could explode. !!!

2 Likes

Marie Sharpe’s line of sauces from Belize are consistently good.

In terms of BBQ sauces, I’m partial to Rufus Teague.

2 Likes

Wow - that should keep you going! …Belize - never had anything from there, but yes I can believe it.

1 Like

Super interesting! …keen for progress reports along the way, and then tasting notes. Sounds stellar on paper - be interesting to see how it turns out and what you may refine for TobyJug’s Stinger Batch#2

1 Like

Or super intestinal?

That’s later… But yes - it starts as interest, kicks off with an endorphin rush and ends in a feeling in the intestine! …if it’s done well anyway!

1 Like

Speaking of endorphin rush - this is goooood…

…available in the UK from Hot Headz :hot_pepper::+1:t2::confounded::grinning:

1 Like

I start my day with something cooked and Daddies brown sauce with my own hot mix added. Got the idea after my wife picked up A1 steak sauce with Tabasco in Florida a while back.

1 Like

Anybody that says that Daddies is not the best brown sauce available is just wrong, and needs to have a good hard look at themselves.

I like it - but it’s so thin and watery… Tabasco an interesting twist though. Maybe that plus some cornflour for me! :joy:

Our friends across the pond like their mixups - I spent some months in Houston Texas, they have this thing called “Katsup” which I believe is Ketchup mixed with Tartare Sauce. It’s truly nicer than it sounds. Great with fried catfish.

Not a sauce as such but I find Belazu’s ‘smoked chilli’ Harissa paste very good.

1 Like

El Yucateco makes some great salsas! We buy their green…it’s really bright green, and pretty hot :slight_smile:

We’re big hot sauce eaters – we have a variety because certain pairings are best :slight_smile:

We always have on hand:

Tabasco (great for bean soups)
Crystal (great for chili and greens)
Texas Pete
El Yucateco green and red (great for breakfast eggs, enchiladas)
Cholula
Sambal Oelek
Sriracha

Oh, it’s not my photo. But we did pick up a quite a few when we were there.