Favourite live recordings

There used to be a thread for this on the old forum. I discovered some great albums. Live recordings are my favourite. Unless I’ve missed it, the thread is no more and I’d like to fire it up again. Starting with Alpha Blondy Live at Paris Zenith 1992s-l1600 . Excellent recording and if you like bass you’re in for a treat.

1 Like

Hi res on Qobuz, play loud, sounds awesome…

Roger Waters The Wall

3 Likes

He recently made the full concert available on youtube as well

4 Likes

Yep - second both of these! On the Waters album ‘Run Like Hell’ is one of my test tracks for new kit… Saw Gilmore’s Pompei when it showed at cinema. Brilliant.

Live recordings from all genres would be very welcome here. I’d love to find some new ones. Share the love folks…

Not available on CD but DVD, Talk Talk at the Montreux Fetival in 1986. A proper old school gig; no computers, no ear pieces, no smartphones in the audience and a hot and sweaty venue. Would loved to have been there

2 Likes

Robin Trower - Live

Christy Moore - On the Road. Not quite a traditional live album, Christy Moore has been one of the greatest influences on Irish music, with Planxty he was one of the pioneers who modernised Irish folk, and as a member of Moving Hearts first rocked it up. He’s since been a great solo artist for decades. Being asked for an album to introduce people to his long career, he recorded his gigs across UK and Ireland for 3 years and produced this triple album (double CD), ranging from a duo with Declan Sinnott to a full band. All live recordings, and the perfect into to an Irish “national treasure”.

1 Like

The original and the best.

4 Likes

https://www.head-records.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/3685.jpg

I love the atmosphere, empathy and interaction with prisoners…
Wonderful and evocative…

6 Likes

When they were the best live rock band, probably.

5 Likes

Different genre but a great live album.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the great contributions so far. I for one will be checking out all the recommendations I don’t already have and there’s several above. Will add a few more of my own when home. I’ve tried pulling the audio off dvd before and always failed. Does anyone have any advice in this regard? Since there’s a dvd above I think it becomes relevant, though I don’t want to gum-up the thread with it… Thanks.

I know it’s a DVD, but I hit play and turn the TV off. Amazing concert. I wish he released this as a live album.

3 Likes

there’s a 24bit LPCM track on this DVD, so your wish could be easily realised…

1 Like

I found this on the old Forum. If you like Dire Straits I’d say it’s a must-have.

3 Likes

This is worthy. We are listening to it now. Rocking live LA club sound. It is over driven and will tax your system but it sounds real. Turn it up but be careful.

SS500

Skip - I’d describe this the same way, right down to the LA bit. Small club performance; intimate but big sound; definitely ‘turn it up but be careful’. The lead guitar will test your Naim’s leading edges :wink: and/or the amount of RFI floating about your power cables!

1 Like

I’m not always that keen on live albums, sometimes they just don’t draw me into the music in the same way as a good studio recording can. Still, there are some good ones around. Simon’s suggestion of Jonny Cash At St Quentin would be high on my list. Here’s a couple more:

4 Likes

I have Who’s Live at Leeds on vinyl. You are so right!

1 Like