Favourite spice?

My LEAST favourite spice is the Clove. MAN those things kill me.

Christmas has me on high alert - but I can never truly relax.

3 Likes

Love cloves in bread pudding!

1 Like

Depends on what with. I probably use more Cumin, Ginger Cardamom and Black Pepper in cooking than any other spices, but other favourites include Nutmeg. I also use Cinnamon, Cloves, Star Anise, Mace, Szechuan Pepper.and Coriander (though I use Coriander leaf far more, but that’s not a spice.

Chilli I have to use very carefully as sometimes I find it very unpleasant, leaving me with no sense of taste just severe burning, ruining a meal. Cayenne pepper is better, more controllable.

Most are really only at their best freshly ground, though I use Cinnamon both as sticks and ready ground. Ginger fresh root not dried & ground.

I really enjoy the fragrances when grinding fresh spices, setting an appetising expectation for the food to follow!

2 Likes

Don’t forget Cornish Saffron buns

2 Likes

“Mmmmm… Yes please. I love a dessert that reminds me of the last time I had a Root Canal”

:tooth::confounded:

…away with yer! :joy::joy:

This is very nice…

3 Likes

This has got to be the best though - lovely fresh ginger:

4 Likes

Curry leaf.
One that cannot be substituted, as it has its own uniqueness.
This, fenugreek and chilli is all you ever need as a desert island spice.
You can put this with anything.

2 Likes

The seeds sprout well in the U.K. - if the hens don’t get them first.

I get withdrawal symptoms if I don’t get a good spice dose at least 3 times a week.

2 Likes

3 Likes

For me it has to be a dal (I try to reserve meat for the weekend); I vary the spice mix, but fresh ginger and turmeric are favourites along with cumin and coriander. Of course pepper is in there, along with a chilli or two.
I have a handful of garam masala recipes; some with cinnamon others with cloves or mace. Sometimes I make a paste or I might dry fry the spices. I’m always learning about various blends.

2 Likes

That’s a herb, not spice!

Oops.

But the OP might be ‘appy with ‘erbs…

1 Like

Fww. I thought you were going to have my guts for garters…

Effective I’m sure, but not sure I’d want to handle them…

It is an interesting thought about what really differentiates a herb to a spice.

What are we to make of fresh green pepper corns ?

1 Like

Seeds and roots are spices, leaves are ‘erbs.

One herb I love above all others is Basil. We keep basil plants in the kitchen, to grab fresh leaves for things like bruschetta (at least weekly in summer/autumn when we have a glut of fresh tommytoes), or pizza, etc. And dried basil, which tastes completely different, for pasta dishes from lasagne to bolognese.

Fresh coriander os a delight in many dishes: today in a vegetable soup (made with home-made chicken stock, loads of carrots, leeks and celery, ginger root, and freshly made pasta (like linguine, but made just with flour and water, no egg).

I also often use Oregano, Thyme, Marjoram, and Sage, usually dried, and fresh Parsley (why do I feel a Simon and Garfunkel song coming along?!)

But I don’t like the taste and smell of curry leaf, reminding me too much of the awfully insipid “curry” my mum sometimes made, complete with typically incompetently cooked British style rice!

2 Likes

Fresh oregano if you can find it is the bomb.
The better varieties are almost as hot as the chillies you should put with them.

1 Like