Feedback Judder - SuperLine?

This sounds like instability in the Superline. You mention earlier that you got this with no capacitance loading and it went away when you added it. I suspect this may be your issue rather than cartridge compliance problems…

Hi,
Didn’t go away with lowest capacitance & resistance slug, simply moved it further up the volume range. i.e without the slugs the problem came on at quite low volumes, with the slugs, I can have higher volume. We are talking about 1/3 of the NAP200 amp volume knob range. So not super loud.
A

Hi,
Yes, 33 & 45, only when needle is in the groove even during run off at the end of a side (so no music!)
A

33 or 45, judder remains same speed and constant repetition.

The superline has been known to pick up radio signals so I was wondering if the motor or lingo was generating any the SL was amplifying but assuming the Lingo changes the speed by changing the frequancy it generates I think that can be eliminated if the judder doesn’t come faster at 45rpm.
Have you still got the Cyrus?

It might be time to get your dealer in on the problem,

1 Like

Thanks. Alas not. I do have a cheap Pro-Ject USB V phono stage, so will try that (but suspect it has a filter). Else yes, ask my dealer if I can borrow another SuperLine and compare…
A

A thought; doesn’t occur when listening through headphones via a HeadLine. So signal is still going through the SuperLine. If SuperLine at fault, wouldn’t problem manifest itself here too?
A

Have you tried the Superline with a different SNAIC5? Or how about powered via AUX2 of the pre-amp? Try each and let us know the results.

Hello, a cure found. Experimented with the interchangeable capacitance & resistance loads that can be swapped about in the back of the Superline. Found the with 4.7nF capacitance load plugged in, problem has gone. I also played with the resistance loads and found having the 1000Ω load (with the 4.7nF cap) produced a more warm/blended sound, with perhaps treble less bright.

Now, any clever people out there that can explain what these loads are doing? It’s also curious that Superline is supplied with a 5.6nF cap load as standard (according to manual) but mine is swapped to a 4.7nF. Manual does say other values can be made up. As I have bought 2nd hand, maybe previous owner had 4.7nF made up or Naim changed specs?

A

That’s rather puzzling, the high resistance should sharpen the sound up and make the bass lighter. The cap plug should roll off the top end. I used 1nF for a while when I was trying to quieten radio Moscow, 10nF did a slightly better job of it but dulled the music too much and I ended up ordering a 470pF, which I still use though the Russian voices are ancient history since I moved the system off a steel framed rack.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.