Fiddling with one's balls

I’m not sure how much difference racks make beyond a certain point actually. I’ve used an Argos metal framed tea trolley as a student (lol), then Sound Organisation stuff and finally Ash Designs Cosmic range (no longer made). I did get this firm https://www.customdesign.co.uk to make me a custom centre channel support for my centre channel speaker and they were very flexible, fairly priced and beautifully made. I rather like their Milan racks too…

In my somewhat limited experience (I don’t review racks really) I think if you’re looking for huge improvements from supports (with the exception of turntables) then you’re likely going to be disappointed given their high cost in some cases, so as others have said I would buy something that is sensibly engineered, fits your budget, has spikes (which make sense) and suits your decor and taste.

JonathanG

2 Likes

Have you seen or tried the podium lite vs the full podium? Looking at the lite xl because I need it to hold my tv as well as my hifi.

No not tried lite (current slimline?). I got the full podium for its looks, solidity and price. My belief is anything that is solid and rigid will be fine. Not a great believer in the “sound” of equipment supports. Even the lite/slimline podiums would find a happy home at my place for tv etc.

1 Like

Yes that’s what I meant. I knew it was called something specific I should have looked it up before posting :joy:. I’m glad you’ve had a good experience with the podium.

The podium lite is the only equipment rack I’ve ever had issues with. It was impossible to get the legs to the correct tightness and still have them square to the shelves. All the legs ended up at jaunty angles and I concluded that it was a crap design and sold the thing for a pittance. I suggest that @dmu gives it a very wide berth.

The key thing for me is that supports should be light and rigid. I’ve owned loads over the years: Sound Factory Tripods, Quadraspire Q4, Quadraspire SVT, Hutter, Isoblue and Fraim. Now I’ve only got one box I don’t have a bespoke stand at all, but my table is still very light and very rigid. That combination just seems to work.

1 Like

I agree with you HH, about the Podium. I had the same problems as you encountered. As much as I liked the look of it, I could not recommend it for the reasons HH has stated. Another point I remember is any shelf with a item that gets more than warm, will significantly discolour. This might only be a problem on resale or change of device.

1 Like

As Ivor Tiefenbrun suggested for the Sondek forty-odd years ago.

1 Like

Ok I’ll also look at alternatives it’s just difficult to find something tall enough and wide enough for what I want without getting into insane money.

Have you considered this, the Quadraspire SV2T? If you have a Google you can find a used one for a reasonable price. It looks good and all your stuff will fit, with space for the TV on top.

1 Like

Exactly. Physics doesn’t change.

The legs aren’t supposed to be fully tight as far as I am aware. I tighten mine then back them off to make them square with the shelf. My system sounds amazing at the moment so I’m quite happy with that. Helps with the isolation from external vibrations from what I remember. Maybe the old belief of everything must be “Linn tight” still holds sway for many :grin:

As a matter of interest, I tried the light rigid theory and put my LP12 on a IKEA table as recommended. Sounded absolute garbage and I now use it to put my Glasses, remote and wine glass on. Works very well for those things. :joy:

I wasn’t aiming for Linn tight, just reasonably solid but not floppy. To me, it’s a poor design, but if you like it that’s great. The Quadraspire, with its round columns, avoids this problem and is a much better design.

Mine aren’t floppy at all, there is still a friction hold on each leg, they just don’t go fully tight. I think it’s part of their proprietary Link4 technology which prevents vibration cascading down the rack according to their Blurb. I wouldn’t let it put anyone off trying Hifiracks. The reviews speak for themselves.

I’m only referring to the Lite here. The better ones might be different.

Ah! In that case I bow to your experience. I’ve only got the reference versions.

I’ll take a look at the quadraspire. I’m also going to look deeper at the full podium and also the possibility of something custom made from a carpenter/furniture maker see what works out best with my requirements vs cost. Also look for other options.

I use Solid Steel Racks. My eye-hand coordination precludes anything with ball bearings. My Solid Steel racks have functioned well with both Rega and Naim equipment. They are also less expensive than Fraim.

I tried the bronze upgrade on 2 Quadraspire wall shelves and it made a big difference, comparable to a component upgrade in fact…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.