Finally achieved my dream system!

I think some components punch above their weight and having heard the ND5 on several occasions I’d put it very definitely in that category.

2 Likes

Its always good to turn that dream into reality, enjoy listening to your music on a wonderful system.

1 Like

Thanks Lindsay and Oxfordian :slight_smile:

A very good friend of mine who I do not get to see that often has come over to have a listen and suggested we try the docking scene music from Interstellar. I am very disappointed with myself for not having thought of this myself before.

The result is WOOOOOOW!!! A fantastic piece of music from the legendary Hans Zimmer and a great track to use as a reference when trying to new gear. I heard so many new sounds and detail I had not heard before on what is one of my favourite compositions of all time.

We then tried Fleetwood Mac ‘The Chain’ which is also a great track and available at 96khz on Quboz. Once again, I heard so much more that I have ever noticed previously.

The 252 is truly amazing!

5 Likes

I appreciate the ND5 is not in the same league as the rest of my system but I really would not call it mediocre. I would of course gladly have the next model up; but like LindsayM says, it punches well above it’s weight and sounds fantastic!

7 Likes

Organ music rocks!

2 Likes

For starters if you can source an NDac in good condition grab it…big uplift and then eventually marry the dac to an xps dr…superb!

first of all congratulations on your purchases

I would agree with HungryHalibut - I would never use an ND5XS with such a hi end amplifier

at the least an NDX2, and then look for an XPS DR.

I learnt over the years, amplifier upgrades don’t add extra information which isn’t there from the source.

Now I am keen on sources upgrades, amplifier upgrades aren’t compelling enough for me.

I am happy with my 282/HCDR/250DR driven by Chord Mscaler/Dave.

I’m careful of saying I’d never do this, that our the other.

What’s a guy to do when you already have a ND5 and happen upon a good deal on a pre that’s in a different league?

Do you not connect the ND5 because it’s too pedestrian in comparison?

What a crock… You use what you have, and when you’re able, you look at alternatives if you find there’s something missing.

I’m more comfortable saying well done on what you’ve achieved thus far, here are options that will blow your socks off and will be a more suitable source for your pre.

9 Likes

Just read your thread. Nice read and congrats :+1:
How about a lovely picture ?
Either here, or Systems Pics…

Happy listening
R

p.s. Do consider adding an nDAC to the ND5 XS2 :wink:

Some belated pics, thanks for all the nice words everyone. All feedback welcome on my arrangement! I am still to find a good solution for getting the speaker cable to the speakers in a more concealed fashion to keep my wife happy; but the shape of our lounge and my need to have my work desk at the end makes it a head scratcher!

11 Likes

5 Likes

I’ve managed to hide away the EE8, PSU and a few other bits around the side of my desk!!! Now THAT was stressful and led to a fair amount of rude words…

6 Likes

ps. the multi tone Fraim stand with different colours and full/Lite shelves is purely a cost compromise from collecting parts on ebay! Had a unique look to it mind you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve also got a bit of painting to repair where I have damaged the wall using cable clips I now regret using! I have foam pads preventing the wires touching the walls, each other and/or the power cables now. I found this tip on the forum and it is a good one.

Lovely
Thanks for sharing :+1:

BW
R

2 Likes

Last one, I also finally found a use for my iPad as a permanent Nucleus controller :+1:

6 Likes

Well said. I got a practically brand new ex demo 252 and traded in my SN3 as part exchange so it was a no brainer. Re the comments on the source, I would of course love an NDX2. Maybe if they continue to come down in price and I have some spare funds again in several months time I will look into it; but I am in no rush. Just very much enjoying what I have.

4 Likes

Speaking of hiding cables… I tried to put my naca5 along the wall, but they clearly sounded best if they were allowed to lie freely on the floor, so then it had to be that way. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice looks :innocent: (IMO)

I do find this very interesting, what is it about touching the wall vs touching the floor that drives a difference in the sound? I’m sure there’s a logical explanation but it’s got me stumped.

I have no idea. However, I’m content with the fact that it sounds better.

1 Like