Finally pulled the trigger on the nd5 xs2

So after much deliberation and detrimental-to-my-marriage levels of internet research, I put the order in to my local dealer yesterday. Was initially torn between the lumin T2, Aurelic Vegas, NDx2 and ND5. In the end decided to keep my system Naim (have an SN2 which I absolutely love) and partly because I had a great customer service experience with Naim.

I think the NDX2 would be fantastic if I had funds that I thought I didn’t need to purpose elsewhere (and couldn’t see my self going down the PSU path with a streamer). So ultimately I went with the value for money option, which I think the nd5 really excels at, and as I don’t have a use/need for a screen or physical buttons, if feels like a more suitable investment for me.

Ultimately I may end up using the ND5 as a transport and seeing if I can get my hands on a Hugo 1 DAC.

Looking forward to running it in sometime next week. Next upgrade is already decided… Roon.

3 Likes

Congratulations with a great purchase!
Sure it will give you many happy years of service

Good stuff, let us know how you get on

Yes the ND5 XS 2 is a really fantastic source media player. I think you will be so pleased when you receive it and get it going. I have had my one since 26/4/19 and it really has matured wonderfully over that period. I think this player will be a really big seller for Naim, with plenty of units shifting.

1 Like

I’ve had my ND5 feeding my SN2 for a good few months now and enjoying it a lot. It is a nice system and sure to bring much enjoyment to you and yours!

1 Like

got one coming in the post to compliment the SN2.

Going to run the tv digital out through it as well.

Cant wait :slight_smile:

1 Like

What will it say? Hey, SN2, you’re looking damn fine tonight.

2 Likes

Congrats. You won’t regret it.I thought about the ND5-XS2 as an upgrade to my 1st gen unit, but auditioned a NDX2 and ended up keeping that.

Roon is a great compliment. I’ve been running a couple months on a Mac Mini, but today I bought a Intel NUC8i7 and will use that as an optimized Roon appliance running ROCK (at 1/4th the cost of a Nucleus+). I plan to get that setup and migrated from thee Mac tomorrow.

Just imagine the workload if forum moderators had to moderate grammar. :slight_smile:

I´m another happy guy with one nd5 xs2 and a SN2 :notes:

2 Likes

I’ve had my ND5 XS2 for a couple of weeks with my SN1 and wow, it really is an amazing combination, the SN1 and 2 are just capable of so much, you’ll be really happy with it.

To be honest it exceeded my expectations, probably more that anyone will need. Get Roon and your 3 month Tidal trial and have fun.

1 Like

Josquin… what model NUC8i7 did you get? Thinking of doing something similar. Not super computer savvy but I can generally get by… especially if it means saving a few bob :grin:.

Let me know how the install goes. Cheers mate!

My specs are as follows

• Intel NUC8i7BeH (8th Gen Quad Core i7)
  • Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DR x8 SODIMM
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (for ROCK)
  • Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (for audio file storage)
    Total cost about $735.00

This is roughly equivalent to a Nucleus+ with an added 1 TB SSD at a little more than 1/4 the cost.

The Roon Knowledge Base has a walkthrough for every aspect of the install and setup. I will start working on that later today.
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

8th Gen Quad Core i7… and the Nucleus + has the older 7th gen, and you can up date yours as technology develops. Hope you went for a good box to keep it cool, I went with an Alaska Plato X8.

I bought the BEH version. It comes in a box already. Just add memory and SSD(s).

Keep it in a place with good air movement it will get quite warm at the back.

It will sit in my home office with my other computer gear. I have no ventilation concerns.

Does the Akasa Plato X8 provide adequate cooling? Have you monitored the temps to see if it doesn’t get too hot and throttle the CPU/GPU as a result? I was maybe considering one myself, but that would be my primary concern.

about 47C when it is working hard, I have not applied a throttle to the CPU/GPU I do not think it will be necessary unless there was prolonged use that raied the temperature but I will keep an eye on it.

OK. At the moment I don’t see a compelling reason for the extra expense over the stock enclosure. It looks cool, but mine is just going to sit in my home office on a table with a NAS, switch and a Mac Mini. The Naim system is in another room, on the same floor but other end of the house. If I decide to relocate it to the listening room, then I might reconsider.

Please post if you notice a sound quality improvement. I’m thinking about doing the same, replacing my Mac Mini with an optimized ROCK.

1 Like