First foray into streaming

Cant remember if itunes supports wav, but if you stick with aiff or flac then metadata is file embedded so least headache.

1 Like

iTunes will rip to WAV. I think people get hung up on WAV metadata due to the proprietary way Naim ripers save it in a separate folder, but if the OP wants to use USB sticks it’s a moot point.

Well… I did import a couple of CDs into iTunes on my old Dell. I couldn’t see a ‘lossless aiff’ option so chose ‘WAV’ at the highest resolution offered. It sounded quite good listening via headphones on the PC. I thought I’d be able to access the same iTunes library on another computer, but the iTunes library on my Mac was empty.
I also tried to download JRiver Media Centre - I simply got a desktop icon but nothing else.
I’ve no doubt missed some critical steps along the way - suggestions very welcome!
Assuming I sort these steps out, where do I look for ‘UPnP SW’?
If I eventually purchase a UnitiQute 2, would my current IBLs be compatible?
Apologies for so many, no doubt naive, questions.
Many thanks…

See above for lossless setting

In terms of transferring your iTunes library, I expect others will have much better methods, but what you could do for a quick fix is on your PC “Share” your iTunes Music folder in Windows Explorer (right click, share) then from Finder you should be able to connect to that drive, then drag the files across. The files can be found in Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music. Alternatively just copy them to a memory stick

Jriver for mac here https://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v27/stable/MediaCenter270062.dmg
Once you get that installed you can create a upnp server, settings to follow.

In Tools /Options, click on media network

Tick the first option to enable dlna
Then click on “add or configure dlna”

Add a new one for audiophile 24 bit dac, and select the options as shown: mode = specified audio output, and format = pcm 24 bit

This will appear visible on the uq2 under upnp sources.

I wonder what you plan to do once you’ve ripped your 250 CDs. Just play them in the TV room? Or do you intend to start buying downloads or streaming Tidal or Qobuz? If all you want to do is listen to the CDs in the TV room it may be simpler to pick up something with a CD player, rather than ripping them all.

Your IBLs are perfectly suited to the 52/135s. They will very likely sound thin and gutless on a Qute, which really isn’t up to the task.

I’m now the proud owner of a late (2016) BT enabled UnitiQute 2. Apart from a mechanical hum which is louder than I would have expected, I’m enjoying exploring its features.
hungry halibut, you we’re quite right about the IBLs - connected to the Qute, they sound like a 1960’s transistor radio. I’m therefore using the pre-amp out function, with speakers set to ‘none’.
iRadio is a revelation - can’t believe the number and diversity of options.
One area I’m struggling with, and would welcome your advice please, is how to access Spotify and Amazon music. My current solution is to play on my iPhone/macbook and connect via Bluetooth - there must be a more elegant solution! The manual doesn’t seem to provide much help.
All advice sincerely welcomed - many thanks…

Hi, there is no native support for Amazon Music but there is for Spotify. Once set up you use the Spotify app to control the streamer.

Hi Chris, Thank you for your comment. I’ve tried this approach for Spotify, but can’t get beyond the screen notice: “Ready connect Spotify app” Pressing OK on the remote has no effect. I’m using the basic Spotify - do I need Spotify Premium for it to communicate?
Many thanks…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.