First time Naim / New SN2 questions

Hi and welcome,

Suggest Chord Odyssey but don’t think cables are the issue here, more speaker placement.

Good luck.

1 Like

My father is dealing with a same issue at the moment so I fully understand the frustration. Purchased speakers he is now regretting, same placement issues.

To be honest I would still try few rear ported, in my experience some might still be an option.

I have 200mm behind my current speakers which are front ported. But after listening to Totem Tribe Tower I might be in trouble. I am hoping that they will work in my place, small rear port so fingers crossed. They have smaller drivers and enclosure so bass should not be as much of an issue. Lots of options available in any way depending on what sound signature you like.

Are you enjoying the SN2?

2 Likes

I have the PMC twenty5.22s attached to a Nait XS2 by some Witch Hat N2 cable in a fairly large listening room. To my ears at least Naim + PMC is a very nice combination and the 22s are more than big enough for this room, about 10mx6m

1 Like

Hi T-elmi,
Thanks for suggestion. Might prefer the 19s to the 11s, but I think ATC could have made a more elegant speaker grille for better domestic integration. Wifey might object to that. Will check out the 11s and 19s more closely after vacation.

Hi Lindsay,
Indeed, it’s a speaker placement issue. I recenltly installed a pair of 5m Witch Hat N2s for the inductance issue and they sound fine.

Hi timbre,
Nothing replaces a home demo as the room parameters are of utmost importance. I got an excellent deal on the SF Cremonas that I couldn’t pass up, even if I suspected there might be an issue with the rear ports. Two previous sets of SF Concertinos and Concertos, which are front ported, worked beautifully in exact same position. Clearly, no more full-blown rear-ported chiffing machines for me…The SN2 which is replacing Jadis tube seperates is nice, tight, controlled and pleasant but it’s no revolution…just conforming to my expectations so not disappointed at all.

1 Like

I’ve looked at that possibility and could indeed be nice. They sell for a small fortune here in France…even pre-Brexit. Mind indicating how far you have them from rear wall?
Thanks.

Totally agree with this – to my eyes, the speaker grills look criminal…

2 Likes

She may also object to being patronised on a public forum.

2 Likes

She’s suffered much worse forms of humiliations over the last 30 years so I’m not the least bit concerned!

I have PMC 20.23s on an SN2 - PMC speakers won’t necessarily cost more than in Britain: I have found French dealers were more likely to give you a discount (higher profit margin, perhaps?).
My speakers are about 15 inches from the wall - the bass is fine, not overblown at all.

1 Like

About 3cm! Even though it is a big room the layout just doesn’t lend itself to having the speakers facing the sofa so they are to the left and right of the sofa. As they are fairly deep speakers I’ve had to place them right next to the wall so that they are at least behind my ears rather than in front of them.
That said, even with the back of the speakers so close to the wall there’s no booming bass, it is all still nicely under control.
The other good thing about the PMC speakers is that they look fantastic and are likely to gain approval from SWMBO.
If you’re worried about the price in France, I got mine from the Naim dealer in Ashford, Kent so not far at all from the tunnel if you fancy a trip back across the Channel. I got a nice discount from them too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dreadful, aren’t they!!? My Naim dealer sells a lot of ATC speakers, and he mentioned recently that he had pushed them to rethink this design, as he’s had a lot of potential customers rejecting them on cosmetic grounds. So there is some hope that they will change the grilles. Which would be nice, as I might even be able to persuade ‘er indoors to let me but a pair :open_mouth:

2 Likes

They must know they are ugly, I can’t find a single picture on the ATC website where the speakers have grilles on.

2 Likes

That’s hilarious. It’s all about the music sure, but I just can’t feature going from the fabulously beautiful Cremona Auditors to a speaker that looks like an inverted backyard BBQ grill no matter how great they sound. ATC needs to address this cosmetic consideration. (With no intended disrespect to currently satisfied owners…)

Thanks for the tip. I’ll tell them I want the same 50% off deal…

I wish!

There are pictures of them on their website…just in case you thought a chicken farmer had posted pictures of his DIY grilles somewhere…

1 Like

Didn’t the SF come with foam plugs for the ports?? And 13 inches of the back wall really isn’t enough. try moving them an inch at a time maybe the wife won’t notice… Or pull them way out like a meter off the back wall see how it sounds… when the wifey freaks out move them back a little bit at a time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Think different. When your wife would have socks in that pattern, what would you think?!

1 Like