First turntable in nearly 30 years

Or he could bypass that step and just go straight to a Clearaudio. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I have a P8 and an LP12. If I kept just one it would be the P8. It is the closest to my Aries/vega/sirius G2.1.

2 Likes

Yes… the dealer said it maybe with them by the end of this week so not long to wait now for the P8.

A space has been made ready for its arrival :grinning:

6 Likes

Is that with the Ania pro?

Just the Ania for now. I’m aiming to move to the Apheta 3 & Aria Mk3 once I’m happy it’ll partner the VEGA G2.2 as a source long term :grinning:

2 Likes

Nice set-up

:+1:

1 Like

The LP12 will receive support for many years to come, with upgrades, etc.

Work out your budget, give Peter @ Cymbiosis a call, and see what he can build for you from used bits if you are in the UK.

1 Like

There are a couple of problems though. First being I’ve ordered the P8.

The second is the reason for the first. My preference in terms of sound and style is the P8. The Linn, as good as I’m sure it is, doesn’t appeal as much. So, I don’t feel like I’m missing anything with the P8 :+1:t2:

4 Likes

Or this - truly a superdeck with plenty of scope to upgrade in future as funds permit: Michell GyroDec Turntable/Origin Live Arm/Goldring Cartridge, 3 month warranty | eBay

If you want a Rega then I would stick with the P8 over the P6. Digital is a great leveller, vinyl is not - there’s a huge difference between what can be engineered for £1500 v £3000.

JonathanG

It looks an interesting TT. Size would be a problem though. It’s wider than the space I have. It also looks like it will require a bit more maintenance/ involvement.

In addition to the P8 sound quality, it will require minimal tinkering and will fit in visually.

It won’t be obvious from the photo above but there’s also a window on the left so anything too big will make it awkward to reach it. I guess, even if I had £10k to spend, I would still want a low profile TT that doesn’t dominate over the rest of the gear.

Also, digital will still be my primary source and the TT is for my favourite albums etc. if I had that 10k above, I’d use it to trade in the VEGA G2.2 for the G3 first and the rest on the TT :grinning:

Anyway… while I wait for the P8 to arrive, I’ve already been busy picking up a few new albums to go with my old 45s etc :blush:

2 Likes

Well… it’s arrived. A breeze to setup! So far so good.

The mat is a bit on the static side which I’m hoping will calm down. I’m presuming it’s down to it being new and coming out of the packaging.

It’s beautifully made and fits in well. Now just need to clean my old vinyl. The ones I’ve tried so far sound terrific!

14 Likes

@A-Fin Did you get the Rega P8? If you did and you are talking about the Rega mat, it has been my experience that the static remains I am sad to say. My experience is based on the P9 but I suspect you will find the same for the P8.

I ended up switching to the Herbies TT mat, which is static free. I think they might be available in the UK, but I am not sure.

Enjoy your TT.

1 Like

Yes indeed… so it looks like a new mat then. I recall reading that it maybe needed. I’ll look for the Herbies Mat but I’m open to other any other suggestions :grinning:

@A-Fin try to find a Herbie dealer. There are several versions of the mat at different price points. Mine was from 2015 and at that time I get the best option which turned out to be about $75. The Hebie mat is slightly thicker so you may have to compensate. My dealer set up the TT with the Herbie mat. As someone with a significant eye hand coordination issue, I could not live with the Rega mat.

Does the P8 include a dust cover?

1 Like

Congratulations! The P8 may sound better directly on the cupboard without the big wooden block under it, they like light and rigid, perhaps a free upgrade (or not but then you know).

1 Like

I found the site. There’s an option to select size and thickness. What were the dimensions of the mat you got back then? Cheers

Thanks… I’ll give it a try :+1:t2:

@A-Fin it was 2015. The dealer selected and showed up with the mat. I would be clueless. To make matters worse I switched dealers so I could not ask. Sorry. I emailed my former dealer to see if he can help.

1 Like

Congrats with your P8!

1 Like

I would just try the mat for a while, and then see if you still find it a problem (LP12 does the same thing, by the way, you get used to it). The mat is very tied in to the sound of the Rega, so different will also sound different. Also, the P9 has the ceramic platter and the P8 has glass, may make a difference.

Just enjoy it first, it’s a great turntable!

2 Likes