First turntable

They’re a very capable and safe pair of hands where LP12’s are concerned. I used them to similar effect when I lived in Leicester.

1 Like

I went for a used Linn Lp12 and got some upgrades done including Cirkus bearing, Kore sub chassis, a Lingo 1 and tone arm repair and upgrade.

I have an NDS with 555PS and the LP12 is on a similar level.

Rega Plana 8 or 10 would be a good bet as well and is probably an easier and less fiddly set up proposition.

I have had a RP3 and Linn Axis as well but the LP12 is in a completely different league.

Obviously, as I am happy with my turntable I would recommend an LP12.

The thing to be mindful of is that if buying used you need to get a Linn from a dealer like Cymbiosis. I didn’t and had to shell out a fair bit of cash on the tone arm bearings as they were shot.

Cymbiosis can build a high spec LP12 at the fraction of the cost new. That’s what I would do in hindsight.

I didn’t know at the time, so was a learning curve and I’m happy with my LP12. The other thing is that they are upgradeable with different power supplies, tone arms and chassis options if you decide to make changes in the future.

2 Likes

Rega and Linn. Sometimes the forum is like a broken record :grin:

3 Likes

Hi @feeling_zen - do you think for variety we should all have refused to answer a question that was about those 3 brands?

2 Likes

I know. All I ever see is people talking about Naim. :rofl:

1 Like

It’s not a criticism of the question or the responses. More a critique on the forum as a whole. 80% of comments on any type of product category that is non Naim seem to fall on 2-3 “love-in” brands.

3 Likes

Exactly what I wanted to say :+1:

1 Like

Depends a lot on where you are geographically. In the UK those local brands are dominant in the dealer networks and consistently available used. They also tend to perform well within Naim systems and many members here have personal testiment to that end.
Doesn’t mean other brands aren’t any good, just less available and requiring more effort to seek out.
Rega ticks most of the boxes from a plug and play perspective even down to a range of cartridges and an LP12 even an old battered one, in the hands of one of the many UK based dealers with extensive knowledge in their fettling is a potential lifetime source that can be optimised extensively over an extended time frame.
My attention for next steps is on a Technics SL-1210G for example, a good compromise between Linn and Rega and with high regard from a performance perspective.

3 Likes

A little off topic but how would people characterise the difference in presentation between rega and linn?

It’s a legit question Ryder35 given the title of this thread is “First turntable”. I find this thread relevant as I’ve been dreaming of a TT for awhile (technically I have a Dual 505 somewhere in storage lol). Mr.M point it’s so true that those in the UK are a little spoiled by the tremendous dealer networks for used gear and those who can service LP12’s. Sometimes I think a flight to the UK for “shopping” would be worth the effort.

1 Like

Some turntables, other than Rega, Linn, or Technics 1200 G, that can play at the level or above the Ndx/Xpsdr:

3 Likes

This may keep @feeling_zen happy now! :blush:

1 Like

For me something classy looking about an LP12. It’s understated and maybe a bit traditional but I love the looks. The Regas are very stylish and modern looking. I loved my Rega Plana 3 back in the day!

1 Like

We can surely add Vertere, Well-Tempered, Brinkmann and VPI to that list.

That gives 10. It’s hard to believe that anyone wanting to give vinyl a try would be willing to audition quite that many.

5 Likes

Just audition Linn and Rega :rofl:

Really depends on model, cartridge etc. but comparing my P8/Apheta3 with my LP12 Akurate/Krystal I’d say the Rega is comparatively leaner and slightly more detailed whereas the Linn is fuller and has more bass emphasis/attack. But I’m using different amps - Moon 600i integrated with the P8 (in a large room) and 200/202/Napsc with the Linn (in a small room) - and different phono stages (and speakers, too), so by no means an objective comparison!

2 Likes

Always good to learn a little of other brands out there.

3 Likes

This is what I thought. The Rega more detailed. The Linn LP12 smoother, warmer, fuller and a bigger sound.

2 Likes

Well tempered: yes. But I dislike the look and it’s produced in China today.
Vertere DG1: yes. But was already suggested above.
Brinkman Bardo: yes. But more expensive vs all these . More on the 10k +.
VPi Prime Signature: absolutely. I forgot it. :+1:

1 Like

Personally I would not regard Vertere or Linn, because they represent the doors for never ending upgraditis. :grin: