Five Terrible albums by five artists you love

I think they really went down after Heavy Horses.

I really loved Yes from Time and a word up to and including Topographic oceans. Maybe not quite as good as some other of their albums, but still highly enjoyable. For me they declined after that - bought the two studio albums that followed, but by Tormato they had become uninteresting - I bought it but played only a handful of times in total, though I didn’t think it was terrible.

Pretends to be able to sing?

3 Likes

I like Dylan’s voice. I love Rod Stewart’s voice etc but those ‘standards’ albums turn me right off.

2 Likes

The Long Run - The Eagles
It’s Hard - The Who
1982 -Status Quo
In Through the Outdoor - Led Zeppelin
Reckoning -REM

3 Likes

Initially shocked by the selection of Reckinong. Had to check myself. Much as I love it now it’s easy to fail to recall what a visceral reaction there was to it after Murmur. The right, unfinished feel was quite a shock.

Wow, bold choices there Lindsay. Tricky too, as while the albums are generally fairly weak, they do contain some brilliant tunes - For example, It’s Hard has Athena and of course Eminence Front (which I used to religiously play to close my US college radio show), and In Through the Outdoor has In The Evening, All of My Love and Fool in The Rain, and as for Reckoning, while I rarely play it these days, back when it was new and very much THE album of the moment, that was my photography course darkroom album of choice at school…

1 Like

Ouch! Shots fired… :joy:

Well yes, I think Long Run is a full on no hoper whereas with Eden it has the absolutely superb title track. Never really persuaded by Eminence.

1 Like

Coda: Quo had been on a constant downward slide since the heights of Blue For You and 1982 was the lowest water mark, after they sacked Lancaster they never recovered except possibly for Heavy Traffic.

2 Likes

Not sure I agree about it being an exercise in making money. There’s no evidence base I know of with regard to that assertion. Hard to disagree re: the contents though. Some hear the sound of 4 brilliant talents exposed. I hear the sound of 4 talents running on empty. 7 tracks that might make 1 of the better solo albums but that’s about it really.

Exactly and then charge for a double album!

As much as I love Richard d James fully absorbing himself into his own technology and craft…

Aphex Twin Collapse.
Mostly noisy twaddle.

1 Like

I agree that Endless River is a miserable dirge. However, I also found The Final Cut to be awful and only listened to it once after I bought it in late 1982 or early 1983. It was probably the last vinyl album I bought before getting a CD player.

2 Likes

Conversely I think Final cut is one of their best, alongside The Wall, DSOTM, Meddle & Atom heart mother. Animals was their lowest point for me before their split, but still playable (unlike Endless dirge).

In the interests of fairness many original copies of the White Album were sold at a price below that for a double album at that time. It’s only subsequently been marked up.

I’ve always enjoyed Final Cut, though I would debate whether it’s a Pink Floyd album in any meaningful sense. I tend to think of it as the best solo album Roger Waters never released.

A self indulgent dirge……in musical terms, bereft of life (like the Norwegian Blue).
Endless River was a bit of light relief after that.

1 Like

Funny how we all differ! Musically stimulating and lyrically highly poignant…

Here we go, 5 great artist 5 terrible albums:

(1) Led Zeppelin: In Through the Out Door
(2) The Eagles: The Long Run
(3) The Rolling Stones: Dirty Work
(4) Pink Floyd: Ummagumma
(5) Guns N Roses: Chinese Democracy

The worst part is I bought every one of these when they came out, except Pink Floyd’s which I bought about 1975.

1 Like