Flat vinyl where is it

Think maybe I worded things weirdly above.

How did the record sound after flattening? If with the equipment you own there was no audible problems with the record that would be proof enough for me that the method is safe.

Mmm

I canā€™t say I specifically listen out for flaws. I tend just to listen. And with this record, at first I didnā€™t really play it at all anyway because I didnā€™t want to risk damaging the cartridge. So Iā€™ve really got nothing to compare the sound now against what it was before.

That said, it sounds fabulous and better than listening to the same track via the ND5 XS.

Cheers, Ian

1 Like

That should indicate that any changes to the groove structure is negligible on your level of devices and anything lower.

Further reading shows that vinyl is pressed at 160 degrees and extreme pressure. I cannot find any reference as to how much it is cooled before being released from the press, but I will not be surprised if it is still very much around your flattening temperature as that stage.

Not to mention that a lot of commentators state that warped vinyl is, in part, due to not enough cooling during pressing. So if the vinyl is still at a temperature where it can warp, while the groove structure remains intact, this would be another indicator that the method you used should be safe enough.

2 Likes

I have the impression, watching at that video, that the work seems very average. Lps look warped.

1 Like

My opinion about the heating is generic and not specifically aimed at anyoneā€™s individual method. As stated, heating enough to change the shape of the record will change the grooves. By how much? Nobody knows on each case. You can reduce and sometimes totally eliminate warps with sandwiching between glass for a couple of months or more. Definitely no damage.

For me, I havenā€™t spent 10s of thousands to listen to an lp that could be sub-standard. Iā€™d buy another.

1 Like

Thank you very much, thatā€™s most appreciated indeed

1 Like

I would too. But what started the whole process was that when I asked to return it, the supplier said it was now sold out.

I use the Vinyl Flat to flatten my warped records. It does work, although UK buyers should consider airmail costs (it is heavy) as well as VAT and import duty.

A search for Vinyl Flat record flattener will find the website and ā€œhow toā€ videos. The Vinyl Flat is two heavy disks, with a central bolt to help direct the flattening and felt mats to spread the pressure and prevent record damage.

They recommend an oven temperature of 130F/54C with this temperature maintained for 50mins to 80mins and longer if needed. For problem warped records always increase the heating time, never the heating temperature. After a flattening heat cycle I leave my Vinyl Flat to cool overnight in the oven before opening it up. Some disks need multiple heating cycles before they are acceptably flat.

Assessing improvements to sound quality would require doing a recording of the vinyl lp before and after flattening. I havenā€™t done this, but Iā€™m pretty sure that a flattened record sounds better (assuming the warped record played at all).

2 Likes

There is no totally flat record, just the least warped.
Its a judgement as to how many times you will play the record and potential damage to the cartridge cantilever. A premium priced LP is no guarantee of a ā€œperfectā€ pressing.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.