Focal and PMC

Whouah! Impressive. So Beryllium is highly dangerous, it must be avoided touching it. And more dangerous still if there is a fire in the room, with Beryllium tweeters inside.
@emrei, you should read that link above.

I am doomed i got focal headphones as well…

I hope Focal wont become another Monsanto

1 Like

One thing for sure they are easier to move without damaging the wooden floor

First thing i notice install them is the stage, now is more focus, it is on the center with good layering and open when the recording is open

İt become better with sofisticated classic pieces that you hear the orchestra

2 recordings below become more engaging to listen

Bass become Focus and tighter, nothing sounds boomy

But i dont have golden ears so it all might be my immagination after spending that amont, you need gaia 1 for sopra 2 so they are not cheap, excellemt boxing experince tough

Beryllium has many common applications, especially alloyed with copper in wires and consumer electronics. You might have a hard time avoiding it altogether - airbag sensors, ABS brake sensors, pacemakers, HD TVs etc. The danger is very real for workers producing Be and related products but given its wide range of applications, personally I wouldn’t worry about more than sensible clean up precautions for a damaged tweeter

Check out this link too.,

Granted it is likely to be biased given who published it but you might find it particularly interesting given the French focus.

http://beryllium.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Beryllium-Critical-Material-Assessment-Summary.pdf

1 Like

Yes, but in all of these applications it is enclosed and only handled by trained personnel (hopefully, at least until some poor chap dismantles it in some African village where we ship our trash).

As long as it is undamaged and enclosed it is safe, but I would recommend to heed Focal’s advice regarding child safety. And IF it is damaged I wonder how you would ever make sure you found every piece.

Hi @0.0,

I owned Focal Kanata 2 loudspeakers. They are excellent and very good value for money. As you can see in this thread, I recently replaced them with Sonus Faber Nova III. For me the Kanta’s were a bit too direct.

I never owned PMC loudspeakers, but last week I visited someone owning Fact 8’s. To my ears the Fact 8’s sounded less “direct” compared to the Kanta’s.

Iver

And to avoid ambiguity, was that a good thing or a bad thing?

Thank you, that’s very helpful.
So it looks like it’s all positive

1 Like

Yes, I’m not really sure what “direct” means for a loudspeaker - too forward?

@SamClaus: “Direct” indeed means “in the face” or as you say “forwarding”
@feeling_zen: I don’t think one can talk good or bad here. To my ears - bearing with my taste of music - the forward and direct sound on the long term gets fatiguing. For somebody else it might be a benefit. Decent home audition should tell you
Iver

I have the Sopra 2s and love them but with retirement here and a house move soon I’ve been told that they have to go. So now looking for a replacement which could include Spendor D9-2 although an audition will be critical as per usual. At least they’ll be cherry veneered boxes and are made where by wife was a teacher for years! Perhaps I shouldn’t have sold my S600s - at least they were in cherry…

1 Like

Interesting statement. Do we guess by whom told? And what is tge reason for them having to go?

I am presently sorting out my post retirement, intended last house move ever, and getting good space for a decent music room is a primary requirement (and a sunny quiet lounge for my better half is another) - so good size and shape, plus acoustic treatment, are essentials. I started a thread a few days ago on flush mounting of speakers, that being an option I’m weighing up). Speaker change not planned, but not ruled out either.

Decision applied to me too. Love the sound of the Sopras but in a 200 year old cottages they’ve always clashed with the room. Learn and live on but no doubt someone will benefit as they move on.

Too bad those cherry DBLs in Suffolk have been sold. I think they may have been used to livening up an old cottage.

Do you mean @Tonym has sold his DBLs? Surely not.

Really?? :thinking:

Not mine. Besides, they’re maple.

Hi Tony, great and good to see you lurking here :+1:t3: ATB Peter

1 Like

Signals sold a pair recently for a customer, I was guessing the cottage bit, looks like I was wrong, and glad to be too.