Focal Banana Connector - HELP!

Hate to ask but were these ‘new new’ (so to speak) ?

A quick web search suggests (n.b. I am not a consumer rights lawyer) the retailer is responsible for carriage under the terms of the g’tee and sale agreement, especially noting if the terminals were loose (both pairs?) on receipt.

Consumer Rights Act 2015 - Ch2, Section 23 cites:

Right to repair or replacement

(1)This section applies if the consumer has the right to repair or replacement (see section 19(3) and (4)).

(2)If the consumer requires the trader to repair or replace the goods, the trader must—

(a)do so within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer, and

(b)bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).

…there’s far more but not on point.

In many respects this is why (and supports HH’s point) dealers in certain goods are encouraged not to deal on a remote basis (in geo terms), as this brings with it meaningful obligations should things go wrong.

1 Like

Yes , surprised local dealer not sorting this . i had a problem once with the base of my 1028be when i bought them new . the Focal chappie who was quite senior came and sorted it personally

1 Like

This is the best news of the day. Will see if it gets sorted without hiring a lawyer. Haha
Apparently the only way to get into the speaker is via drivers. And here’s the one for Focal “fans”: the aluminium bezel is glued with a double-sided tape. Thought I just throw that to add to everyone’s amusement. I am full of faith one dealer, or even better Focal themselves, will come to my house and repair it at zero cost and tomorrow (sighing and shaking head left to right).

Just wanted to share with you all, I have fixed it. It was unbelievably easy. Just had to take the bezel off, unscrew the driver, fish out the nuts, screw them back in, done!

I was actually pleasantly surprised how neatly everything inside looks. Must admit, it’s all been well designed, including the double-sided tape. Actually, it was a very nice, super thin layer of proper adhesive, not a DIY tape.
For those who are interested, the back plate is inserted and what holds it in are very-hard-to-bend latches at top left and right, so I doubt you could take it off externally. You really need to get inside.
So the war is over. Feeling more “connected” with the speaker now.

2 Likes

That’s good news, Alfardbeg. Did you receive my message?

Aw sorry, yes, I got your message. Forgot to thank you. The support was really good.

Nice job but presumably bang goes your 2 year warranty?

I can show you the speakers. Can you tell me which one I fixed? No you can’t. Why would that have any impact on the warranty? In the same way you look after them daily like wiping off the dust, I secured the connector. Easy.

I believe you thousands wouldn’t.

Thank you @AndyP

Strange that the drivers are not sealed in with glue. Maybe being a reflex design this isn’t necessary. It’s nonetheless a little worrying that bits can drop off so easily and that it’s necessary to resort to DIY to get it fixed without stumping up cash.

Go @AlfArdbeg I am pleased that your DIY efforts paid off.

@anon4489532 I’ve never seen any speakers that have the drivers glued in. That makes zero sense. If a driver needed to be replaced it would be a nightmare. Maybe pull off some of the veneer or cause other damage. Every speaker I’ve replaced drivers in has used a replaceable gasket. Just my experience having replaced many drivers in my day. :+1:

Not quite glue, but Naim used Hylomar to ensure the drivers were perfectly sealed. It’s absolutely critical with a sealed box design that there’s no leakage through where the drivers affix to the cabinets. Only a gasket sealant like Hylomar could guarantee that. It does mean though that if you ever had to remove a drive unit for repair for replacement that you took care not to damage the cabinet

That’s the stuff. Glue was simply a layperson’s term. I once had my SBL drivers replaced at my house, by Jason from Naim, and it was quite a job to get the old ones out. Luckily he’s a strong bloke. With a more reflex box perhaps sealing is less important - with a huge port on the back a bit of leakage around the drivers probably doesn’t matter.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.