Focal Kanta 2 or Sopha 1 with Nova?

No-Quarter… Thanks a lot. I am living in Quebec but will mostly have to travel to the Toronto area if I want to listen to a few different systems.

I added a second photo to my other post, that is at the dealer I traded mine to. For me, it is a 4 hour drive each way to this dealer, but I just leave early on a Saturday morning, and I am home by 4 PM usually.
I know he has a Nova listed in his used gear, and has Sopra 1’s and Kanta’s there too. Not sure if I am allowed to mention the dealers name here though. Good luck with your search.

I believe that is the dealer where I purchased my Nova… Pretty sure about that. I also purchased my Lavardin there years ago. Robert and Mike are great people to deal with. I will definitely get there a few weeks/months from now.

1 Like

Yep, that’s the one, I have been dealing with Robert and Mike for a few years now myself. I really want a pair of Kharma speakers eventually, but that will take some saving.

Love my d7.2 but they do take forever to open up and calm down. Was always curious about the D30’s good luck and let us know.

I have a sopra n1, they are amazing speakers.

But every one listens different and recommending a speaker is a difficult task. If you like the sound of focal and are familiar with it, the kanta n2 and the sopra are an easy buy, but if not try to have a listen first.

The Kanta are easier on the amp than the sopra.

2 Likes

Dear Clare,
When you are free of this Topic. Would mind reading this other topic and post your thoughts about:

Uniti Star = XS?
Uniti Nova = SN?.

I am not say that the Star and Nova are the equivalent of the XS2/3 or Sn2/3. Though I am guessing by the output power specifications they use the same power drive section. My thoughts as I would like to clarify if the XS 2 can drive Kanta 1 and the SN3 can drive the Kanta 2.

Kind regards,

Mitch

Here in Oz a NDX2 = $10,500; SN3 = $8,000; HiCap = $3,300 AUD

I feel your pain.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

1 Like

Before Madame Clare will respond, I don’t think it’s possible to make such comparisons.
XS and SN have a different kind of presentation, and Star / Nova differ more in the power and authority.
But may be right in part.

2 Likes

Hello. You really can’t compare them - the designs are so different, internally and in terms of one-box performance.

Supernait 3 outperforms Uniti Nova for pure amp performance - as you’d expect for a dedicated amplifier costing just a few hundred pounds less than Nova but without any of the streaming capabilties!

Uniti Nova is like a slightly more powerful Nait XS3 + ND 5 XS2. But with a display and in one box!

The excellent Uniti Star sits just underneath that, but does offer CD playback and ripping, too - that to me is its trump card; if you don’t need the CD aspects, it may be worth saving up for the more powerful Uniti Nova. The Nova offers more connectivity and better-class components than the rest of the range, as well as more power, of course.

2 Likes

My Question is that if NAIM recommends the Kanta 1 with the Uniti Star which has a 70watt per channel output. Am I safe using a XS2 oe XS3 with a Kanta 1 speaker?

The same goes as NAIM recommends a Kanta 2 with a Uniti Nova am I safe with using a SN3 with a Kanta to since the both have similar power outputs.

Other wise one would not proceed with integrated amplifiers and purchase from the Uniti series of components or forget the lot and go with separates.

I think it is a fair question as I still wish to purchase NAIM equipment though make the correct baby steps to do so.

My technician background with Madame Clare’s engineering background.

I have in the past blown up tweeters and woofers on my Celestion speakers with a dealer recommended Amber 50b integrated amplifier. This not a path I wish to travel again.

I am trying to be careful and prudent with my dollars.

In good faith,

Warm regards,

Mitch.

Great answer! This is what I required.
Thank you very much Madame Clare.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

Madame Clare,

With respect to the above response. Would I be safe using a XS2 in place of a Uniti Star to power a Kanta 1 speaker please?

Warm regards,

Mitch.

XS3, certainly. The AV Forums reviewer uses Kanta No1 as a reference speaker- here’s his review of NAIT XS3 (including comparision to Supernait 3).

1 Like

NACA’s days might be counted…

Madame Clare,

For your information instead of searching for it my system consists of:

Linn LP12 Akurate + CD5 XS + Nait XS 2 + FC XS + Celestion SL6Si Speakers.

I am considering of replacing the Celestion speakers with Kanta 1 speakers after an audition. My Naim dealer has informed me to go for a 202/200DR for the Kanta 1 speakers.

With respect to the Kanta 2 speakers he has advised that I go for 282/250DR/300DR.

I would like to upgrade though this path is out of the range of my bank account.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

Madame Clare,

With respect to the above response. I now feel safe in purchasing a Kanta 1 and possibly a ND5XS2 down the track.

Thank you very much for your time.

Warm regards,

Mitch from Oz.

1 Like

Clare needs to change her Forum name. Out with boring Clare Newsome. In with Madame Clare!!

6 Likes

I recommend you the past thread « Is it Insane to Pair a Pair of Focal Kanta 1 with an XS Stack? »

1 Like

Belpat, consider adding a Rel S/812 to the Nova/Kanta 2 system. Or lean in that direction when more funds become available.