Focal Scala Evo 3

I can vouch for sopra 2s, question is is it worth to upgrade to scala evo 3 :slight_smile:

@emrei - I’ve not heard Scalas but I have heard Sopra 3s against Sopra 2s on the end of a 552DR/300DR and the former are a significant step up in every aspect of performance. I’d say the difference is greater than the price differential would suggest. Have you thought of trying Sopra 3s before the much more expensive Scalas?

1 Like

I’m not really sure that mentioning them a few times a year is exactly Focal trashing. I didn’t like them when I heard them and that’s that really. As I’ve said, others may love them. But only a fool or someone with a lot more money than me would buy them unheard.

2 Likes

Well I was at the same factory event as @anon4489532 and I thought the very expensive Focals were a big turn off too, as indeed were the cheaper, but still expensive, Focals I heard the other time I was there. Great HiFi sound with lots of whizz-bang but not great music-making, basically.

Best

David

1 Like

actually I have an opportunity for a brand new scala evo 3 with a relatively good price…also next speakers probably will be my last speakers, so i have a one shot at this and don’t want to use it for Sopra 3…

I’ve felt much the same on the occasions I’ve heard various Focals at Acoustica’s annual bash … they seem to be shouting “Oi, I’m over here”.

I will confess to some bias, though, as a long term Neat fanboy … their speakers, at whichever level, just get on with making music.

1 Like

Well, my take is that I have the Sopra 1 at home and they are very nice. However, I’ve heard the Sopra 3 at the end of a statement system (dealer demo) and that sounded terrible. I went back to listen to the Sopra 1 on a more modest Naim set-up and they sounded really good. Difficult to explain why that happened.

1 Like

At the end of the day, if they just get on making the music, what more could you possibly want? I feel the same about my SL2s. Who wants hifi pyrotechnics?

3 Likes

Fair enough @emrei. I hope things work out well.

My own experience of Focal Sopra 2 is that they are worthy of 552/500 (unDRed in my case). They came into their own then. My nDAC + 555DR now sounds sublime.

It’s absolutely essential to drive them properly. Despite some good times with the 252/300 DR there were times when the system was not special. I have absolutely no regrets getting the 500 as it brings the best out of the rest of your system. Possibly if I had chosen speakers to balance what I had at the time I might not have ended up where I am. I don’t regret it now though.

All comments about Naim demos need taking with a pinch of salt because in my opinion Naim systems need lots of time to settle.

So if you have the Room for Scala EV03 then go for it, but don’t expect to hear what they are truly capable of until the rest of the system has reached tip top.

Phil

25/30 sqm room with high ceiling and 552/300/cd555 all Dr all SL

So instead of Evo3 I can go for a Nap500 as well

You mean go for Sopra 2 and 500DR instead of Scala EV03? That would be a nice system. The 500DR is a massive upgrade in itself.

I seem to remember you were abroad a year or so ago.

Phil

I already using Sopra 2…
So 300dr/evo3 vs Sopra 2/500dr
Tnx for the inputs…

1 Like

How have you found your existing system? Did you say you had heard the EV03 at the dealer?

Phil

Hello,
I’m using mine with Nap 500 with great results!
I heard the Scala Evo in 2017 Munich show with Nap 300 * 2 (bi amp) and decided to buy them.
I went from SL2, It’s a night and day difference, the SL2 was a great LS, I owned them for 10 years, but with all due respect for the SL2’s, they are not more then musical boxes…compared with the EVO’s
Good luck!

1 Like

Hi, I have just traded in my Sopra 2 for the Scala EVO III, this was two weeks ago, so I am assuming they still need a couple of weeks more to run in.

My system is a 300/282/Supercap/NDX, the Sopra 2 is a very good speakers, however the Scala is on a completely different league. The music sounds different, you start to hear more details, I certainly got goosebumps and continue to when listening to them, and can’t wait for them to run in to hear even more details.

Next step is NDX2 and 252.

Good luck with your journey.

2 Likes

Very interesting topic for me. I recently upgrade from 272 to 252, thus my current system is 252+SCDR+NDS+555DR+300DR into Sopra 2. I thinking on upgrading my speakers to EVO III or Dynaudio Confidence 30 (these ones are difficult to find for audition in USA). I look forward for you final impressions on the EVO. I believe the NDS is a good source for now, should wait until the ND555 begins hitting the market for pre-loved.

1 Like

Now i have a new room and a new nd555, so i need to adjust to the sound and see if it is up to the speaker upgrade
Great speakers enjoy your new toys

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.