Focal Utopia vs Audeze LCD-4 Headphones

I also enjoy a Violectric V281, as well as a Chord Chordette Toucan for the PC rig.

My reference headphones were the Audeze LCD-XC, but I found the problem of their excessive weight and, as you know, also a dlight fit in which, with the contribution of the enormous weight and their poor distribution, they move constantly and are not particularly comfortable. Consequently, after consulting many reviews and user opinions, I acquired Focal Clear, which I find fantastics and very comfortable despite its 450 gr.; however, I missed somewhat more forceful bass with them and, above all, more regular and balanced treble. Finally, a few weeks ago I acquired some Denon AH-D9200 andā€¦, I took a very pleasant surprise: only 350 gr., extremely comfortable and with a fantastic fit, and a soundā€¦, wellā€¦, of the best I have heard in headphones, with blunt lows, divine mids and extended treble but neither the slightest sibilance nor strange, with an extraordinary integration of all the frequeence band and an exquisite musicality that bristles your hair; the bluntness of magneto-planars with the precision and transparency of the dynamic ones and an exquisite an very emotional musicality. Highly recommended.

1 Like

Not on the same price range, but I have alongside the HD800s a Fostex TH900 MK2 (closed headphones). I prefer the HD800s but the Fostex is very very nice for the strings and doesnā€™t fill constrain for a closed back. It has a V signature so : deep and controlled bass and detailed highs but slightly backed Mids. Lovely for instrumental music and chamber music but not so well for voices (the HD800s is great for that). So if you want a complementary pair (closed with bass and V signature, you should give them a try). Iā€™ve been told that Fostex released a special edition (blue one) with a more linear curve.

For the Focal Utopia, I listen to them at a store and I think that hey are a little bit redundant with the HD800s : two open headphones, not bass focused. I prefer the HD800s for the widest stage (a marvel in symphonic music).

Ps. You can upload headphones presets for a lot of headphones in Roon including the HD800s and the Fostex.

You may be right about the similarity between the Utopias and the Sennheiserā€™s. Iā€™ve put my order for Utopias on hold. There is no way Iā€™m giving up my 800S phones and Iā€™ve had second thoughts about giving up my Audeze Planers.
Maybe itā€™s time to go back to StaxšŸ¤”

Where are the presets? Never mind. I wonā€™t need it with the 800S.

I had a V281 up until recently and I just upgraded to the Violectric v550.

Iā€™ve been using Focal Clears which I like a lot and Iā€™ll probably try the Focal Utopia soon. I know a couple of guys who have the Utopias and say they are world class. One says they are big step up from the Clears.

I just bought a pair of used Meze Empyreans to try and they are certainly different from the Clears. The Empyreans are more laid back, darker sounding. The Clears are punchy, clear, more forward. I just got the Emypreans a few days ago and Iā€™m still getting used to their sound but I think I prefer the sound signature of the Clears. I have a feeling the Utopias might be my end game headphone.

With the Empyreans do try the Meze silver plated copper headphone leads. The stock copper leads provide a somewhat overly smooth and shut it sound for my tastes. The Empyreans come into their own when run in, leather pads, and silver plated copper leadsā€¦ it then opens up completely to provide that spooky real connecting presentation. It took a month of regular playingā€¦ inc playing overnight on the stands to open the headphones up.

I was going to send the Empyreans back with the stock copper leads, I honestly donā€™t know why Meze provide them as standardā€¦ perhaps they are more forgiving and more attractive to users with low end headphone ampsā€¦ , but they definitely limit the potential of the headphone.

You do see similar comments elsewhere on the webā€¦

An example of the changeā€¦ using Roon when the Empyreans were new I added +2 to +3 dB around the 6 to 8 kHz range and -2dB around 120 Hz.

When run in and they have opened up. I add no eq at all across the audio bandā€¦ which improves performance further.

1 Like

Thanksā€¦my pair is used so they are broken in but I have heard that the silver plated Meze upgrade cables improve things quite a bit so I might give them a try.

Broken in is a big plusā€¦ try the Meze performance cables ā€¦ and then evaluateā€¦ they are certainly different from the Utopiasā€¦ but for me in a hugely positive wayā€¦ but headphones are very personal thingsā€¦ not least influenced by the shape and size of our quite different auditory canals we all have.

How does the V550 differ from the V281 internally?

Look out for another option launching tomorrow :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Ooooh!

I have the Focal Utopias and i listen to them every day and as i write this they are on my head now. I upgraded from Grado PS1000 and they ainā€™t no slouch either, but the utopias sound are lot more better and are a lot more comfortable as in they donā€™t move around my head like the Grados did if i bent down. The Utopias are used with the Focal Arche amp and Astell & Kern SP1000 DAP.

2 Likes

Thisā€™s what I found. The stock copper cable sounded a bit heavy to meā€¦ the silver just seemed to tighten the bass but also opened up the mids / highs that bit more. Sounded more naturalā€¦ very clear but punchy bass.

As for burn in timeā€¦ must have been at least 150hrs before they became consistent. Before then, I also used Roon DSP to boost mid / highs to try and balance it. Now I donā€™t use, need any DSP tweaks.

1 Like

I just bought Utopias and was able to get the last Nordost Heimdall cables for it that my dealer had. Nordost discontinued them thinking they were too expensive. Big Mistake!
I also use Heimdall 2ā€™s in my home network.

Check out the review of the v590 on Headphonics (which is the v550 with Dac ) for a comparison of its amp section vs v281.

I have the reed relay version of the v550. Itā€™s has 256 steps. The v550 has a lower noise floor than the v281 and cleaner bass. The v281 is a warmer sounding amp.

If thereā€™s one world to describe the Utopias IMO, it is resolution (closely followed by dynamic). Lots of energy and detail. Good build quality. Comfortable. Work well with a number of SS amps but their natural home is tubes. Break in is up to 200 hours. 5-year warranty.

The Empyreans - build quality is top notch. Very, very comfortable. In comparison to the Focals: more rounded, warmer, gentler, refined - almost romantic. Good soundstage. Spacious. Much shorter break in period. 2-year warranty.

One other suggestion - Rosson.

1 Like

Ta-daā€¦

4 Likes

And another:

1 Like

Letā€™s hope they have fixed the basic design flaws of the Clear.

The AV Forums review ends with a comparison between Clear and Clear MG.