Food - use by date - advice please

Back in the day I worked somewhere that operated a staff kitchen that delivered plated meals for “working lunches” in meeting rooms, usually the number ordered plus one or two spares.

We had one colleague who had been around for a while who used to always mutter loudly about the extra meal “And that one’s to keep for the Coroner’s Inquest.”

Best

David

3 Likes

If in doubt, make a curry :+1:

2 Likes

The other day I mashed up some potatoes with butter and chopped fresh mint.
Looked a bit funny, but tasted amazing with lamb. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

So you can’t taste that it is off?

1 Like

Exactly, the classic curry cover up !

1 Like

As a youngster, my family were quite poor. My mother knew one of the local ladies who’s husband - a brigadier - liked to go out shooting.
They occasionally popped round with a brase of wood pidgeons and pheasants. Lovingly hung for some time.
I didn’t know what to think about those mouldy old smelly birds.
I would imagine the cavities needed a good wash !

1 Like

One of the best investments is a good thermometer. I have a Lavatools Javelin that I love (cost around $30). Be sure to remove the meat from the oven or grill before checking.

1 Like

I’m not a big fan of mint sauce, but I particularly dislike much of the commercial stuff I’ve tried, much of which has a sharp taste of vinegar that obliterates the flavour of the meat. Besides, it’s ridiculously easy to make if you have a pot of mint in the garden.
I don’t like garlic with lamb either, I find it masks the flavour too, even though I would take any amount of it in a pasta dish.
Rosemary works for me though, and I’m quite partial to a little redcurrant jelly too.

1 Like

Definitely garlic and rosemary with lamb … but here’s something to try … blitz a small jar of anchovies and brush onto the outside of your lamb joint … you won’t believe how much it enhances the flavour. :yum:

1 Like

Interesting, do you mean to puree them or something or just the juice they’re in?

Cooked lamb on the Lidl last night, probably not as good as it should have been as I had it wrapped in foil on a pizza stone with garlic/rosemary and seasoning.

I was cynical of combination cooking but that combi microwave I bought has cooked some incredibly crispy lamb shoulder and chicken dinners in around 30-40% of normal cooking time.

While waiting for the lamb to cook on the BBQ last night I got peckish and opened some roquefort cheese purchased a week or so ago.

Thought it tasted rather strong, but I like blue cheeses - then realised it was an old one with a use by date of July 2019 :hot_face:

Yes, small jar of anchovies in olive oil, pureed and brushed onto your lamb joint.

I don’t know why it works, but work it definitely does.

As for the garlic, I cut some slits into the joint, and push slivers of garlic into them.

Much yumminess results. :yum:

Will have to try that! I cut slits for garlic too.

What doesn’t kill us, makes us stronger

Given that some cheeses are stored for about two or three years , I wouldn’t worry .

I have a bottle of 1963 Port …

1 Like

I like ‘spiking’ a joint of lamb and putting a sliver of garlic and a small bit of rosemary with an anchovy fillet around it into the lamb before roasting. The anchovy disappears during cooking, the garlic often seems to melt away also. Lovely.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.