Football season 2018/19 - the run-in

Keep flicking through the sports websites, expecting some time to see the headline ‘Chelsea sack Sarri’. Not happened yet😕

Deep joy. Two away wins on the trot. The latter with a makeshift defence minus our captain; with a debutant centre half. Suddenly we’re top of the table. After 11 years I can’t even think it.

steady Mike, this is when the nerves kick in, when you realise once again the importance of getting out of the graveyard that is the National League - it is such a tough division with a mix of ex-league teams & up and comers. I wish you well & hope that you get back to where you need & should be.

1 Like

Cheers Paul. Today was a good day. Welsh win in the rugby and you have to start believing when you sign a third choice keeper on loan “just in case” and a day later your 1st choice keeper is injured!

Add in that our captain Pearson, striker Beavon, right back Roberts and creative mid Summerfield are all out and then your worst striker scores in the 93rd minute so you’ve taken 7 points from 9 in 3 away games in a week after after travelling 1,200 miles.

Somebody likes us.

1 Like

I’m facing a hard truth about my Saints.

In the match report in today’s i paper, Luke Brown has written: Ralph Hasenhüttl “has now been in charge for more than half of Southampton’s Premier League matches this season, but still his side lack a distinguishable identity.”

Roll on the ‘must-win’ Fulham game on Weds evening.

Meanwhile, if you are reading Mike, what is happening at Pompey?

I am reading this this thread, Chris. Pompey’s form has collapsed since the turn of the year. We’ve had a few injuries, losing Whatmough for a year is a big blow, and have felt the loss of Ben Thompson going back to Millwall. That said in the first half of the season our on-field performances weren’t as convincing as the results would suggest. Things may have just caught up with us. Still at the start of the season I hoped we might qualify for the play-offs and I think that’s still the most realistic outcome achievable.

We’ve a semi-final in the EFL Trophy tomorrow evening so we might get in a trip to Wembley (I seem to recall that Southampton won that trophy one year) which would be a nice distraction.

Well Mike, I hope you get that Wembley trip. Thanks for the insights. Do you look at The News’ site? Quite right Saints won what was once called the JPT trophy. At the time JLS were riding high in the charts. The chief sub at the newspaper I worked on so nearly wrote a headline: Saints JLS Trophy Glory!!!

1 Like

Well Pompey booked their place at Wembley for the final of the EFL Trophy this evening with a 3-0 win at Bury. Credit Bury as they were the better side in the first half but didn’t score. I can see why they’re doing well in League Two. Pompey made changes at half-time and dominated the second half, scoring three quality goals. I’d rather them get promoted to the Championship, of course, but a day out at Wembley on 31st March will be nice distraction.

3 Likes

I hope that you enjoy your day at Wembley, they are special days for teams such as ours who don’t get to do this that often. The race to the Championship will be an interesting bun fight and will now be based on the team with the best run in & best form…I know that we have a cushion at the moment but have seen how quickly this can be eroded.

1 Like

Nice one!

I went to Saints’ JPT with my sister. Thrashed Carlisle. Great fun.

1 Like

VAR would have seen Harry Kane ruled offside and so no penalty given yesterday which would have seen Arsenal in 4th just a point behind Spurs and one above Man Utd. Can’t wait for VAR.

1 Like

Workmanlike performance from us against a well set up John Sheridan team. Appalling behaviour from Chesterfield fans to break the minutes silence at the outset. Our fans normally applaud when the away attendance is announced but we booed and, as someone who never boos, I had so,e sympathy for that.

Keeper made no saves again in 90, albeit our striker headed one off the line. Game settled by one moment of quality. A magnificent cross out of nowhere.

Orient away next. Season defining for both of us. Potential champions or play off contenders.

Ooh, actually, Wales v Trinidad and Tobago next.

I’m going to the Mestalla tonight to watch Valencia v Athletico Bibao

Football lovers of a certain age will remember Mario Kempes from the Argentina World Cup winning squad of 1978 who played in Spain for Valencia.

4 Likes

Certainly do. I was 14 and stayed up late to watch THAT Peru game.

Me too though I was a bit younger.
Great match at the Mestalla tonight fantastic atmosphere and a 2-0 home win for Valencia. After many difficult years including a failed association with the Neville brothers ( not the singers) Valencia are are having s little success they are 7th in La Liga, in the final of the Copa del Rey against Barcelona and are in the later stages of the Europa League.

Is Real Madrid - Ajax becoming a historical match? Currently 0-2.

Chose to watch the R Madrid v Ajax game this evening, rather than the Spurs tie that was pretty much over after the first leg. Glad I did. Wow! Ajax were very impressive. I was most impressed by their youngsters but I never remember Tadic playing like that for Southampton.

Real Madrid will almost certainly sack their manager (again) now but they look like a team in need of a serious re-build.

2 Likes

Looks like Spurs are edging closer to that elusive continental cup.

What a fantastic performance and result for Man U in Paris tonight! The pressure on Rashford with that last-minute penalty must have been immense. So pleased that he kept his cool. Wow, the Champions League delivers again.

1 Like