Football season 2022 - 2023

There is no evidence that it was stopped due to referees not implementing the rule. Unless you have been told otherwise by someone ‘in the know’?

Indeed, when FIFA stopped the “trial” after 4 years, they gave no reason and FA referees wanted the rule to continue as they felt it had reduced incidences of dissent.

Maybe instead of a 10 yard rule, there should be a 10 minute sin-bin rule ?

1 Like

The full FIFA statement is on the internet for goodness sake. The FA stated they had been given no further explanation when they asked for clarity.

I’m never sure what links I’m okay posting here but here’s an extract from a book on that period which made its way into the national press.

“We were just told ‘it’s not happening next season’,” recalls Winter. “It was disappointing not to be given any real explanation nor an opportunity to give feedback as to how it could be improved.”

It was a view shared by then Premier League referees’ chief Keith Hackett.

“It is a disappointing decision because while the law was not used a lot, it did have an impact on the behaviour of players,” said Hackett.

"The referees over here found it acted as a deterrent.

“The problem, as I understand it, is the countries who do not have any familiarity with the concept couldn’t get their heads around the process.”

Like I said. :+1:

Tell us more Mike. :laughing:
(That’s one of the best typos/autocorrects I’ve seen.)

Ah deep joy.

I shall go fix it now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like it’s High Noon at the Lane…

4 Likes

FFS - we have just appointed Roy as interim manager at Palace. Must be on the basis of his excellent run at Watford last season :disappointed:

2 Likes

No, not like you said at all. The UK claimed no reason was given whilst simultaneously stating that a reason had been given.

Years later both Hackett and Winter conceded in their own books that they absolutely had been told that the poor and inconsistent implementation of it in the UK left FIFA no choice. Neither ref could say that publicly and criticise their colleagues given the culture at that time.

Desperate stuff. I previously thought of Parrish as one of the more sensible club owners, and a proper fan, but his decision in sacking Viera at this stage of the season is very questionable. It’s the sort of move we expect to see at clubs like Watford. Hodgson at least knows the club inside out but, I agree, he’s hardly an inspiring appointment.

“We were just told ‘it’s not happening next season’,” recalls Winter. “It was disappointing not to be given any real explanation nor an opportunity to give feedback as to how it could be improved.”

It was a view shared by then Premier League referees’ chief Keith Hackett.

“It is a disappointing decision because while the law was not used a lot, it did have an impact on the behaviour of players,” said Hackett.

"The referees over here found it acted as a deterrent.

I think you’ll find I said exactly the same as your (googled) comment copied above. You are clearly a contrarian who would find an argument in an empty house. Thank goodness for the Mute option. Goodbye.

1 Like

After 4 years of increasingly turgid Royball, SP made a genuinely good appointment with PV who promised some progressive football. Last season gave a clear template of what it would take to make Palace an exciting watch. Unfortunately the board have not made the investment to support PV in this for current season. The re-appointment of Roy shows a panicking board who don’t have a plan

3 Likes

Just conducted a quick survey of views from palace fans (my eldest lad). This news is not getting the thumbs up. As a Leeds fan, Roy’s Return makes me mildly less pessimistic.

2 Likes

I love PV’s car and balloons plus the arrival of the ‘Purley King’!

1 Like

Conte signing out ? …

7 Likes

Groundhodge Day

2 Likes

Interesting stats re. goal scorers for England…

Most goals for England men’s team :

Wayne Rooney 120 games 53 goals
Sir Harry Kane 80 games 53 goals
Sir Bobby Charlton 106 games 49 goals
Gary Lineker 80 games 48 goals
Jimmy Greaves 57 games 44 goals

Of course, these figures show what a darling our Harry is. But, it interestingly also shows, firstly, how prolific the much maligned Lineker was, secondly, how poor Rooney’s return was, and thirdly, how Jimmy blows them all out of the water. !!!

Three Spurs men in the top 5. :grin:

Far be it from me to enthuse about Spurs players, but …

I saw Jimmy Greaves in his pomp several times (my uncle used to take me to Highbury when I was a lad in the late 60’s/early 70’s), and I have never seen a better predator: ferocious turn of pace, deadly finisher, brave as can be. Arsenal fans all seemed to have a mixture of fear and respect when they saw his name on the team sheet. He was absolutely one of the all-time greats. Not as good as Jimmy Johnstone, of course, but no one was. :wink:

4 Likes