Football season 2022 - 2023

I’ve been away for a week or so, and thus missed the Tartan Diego Simeone’s Massive Cockney Bastards’ capitulation to Leicester.

Thanks for your concern, expressed so movingly on this thread. But fear not, WHU will be OK. And are still doing well in our European tournament, which we have a fairly reasonable chance of winning, unlike the no-hope Spuds and minging Mancs in theirs.

3 Likes

thats true - and less than 4 years I think since the last hanging of someone convicted for murder

1 Like

Official sponsor Budweiser tweeted ‘Well, this is awkward…’ before it was deleted.

Lol.

3 Likes

Crikey! Footie fans might turn a blind-eye to many abuses of human rights, but banning beer from the football grounds is going to be very hard for fans to swallow. :wink:

2 Likes

I saw what you did there… :laughing:

1 Like

Banning alcohol at the stadiums maybe quite a good idea considering how close the stadiums are and the likelihood of fans from rival teams being in close proximity on a regular basis.

Although it seems fan parks will still sell alcohol…could be interesting.

I read somewhere that one of the reasons why there was minimal trouble in Russia was because of the distances between football games and fan locations.

1 Like

I mean, where do you even start with this…

BBC News - World Cup 2022: Fifa president Gianni Infantino accuses West of ‘hypocrisy’

1 Like

We could start with this?

2 Likes

The speech beggars belief. But we won’t go there - not on this forum.

It’s interesting to note the timing of this speech. Just after he had been re-elected.

1 Like

Every time that eejit opens his gob, a billion braincells around the world burst into flames.

2 Likes

The whole thing is irredeemably shameful. David Squires’ last line on his cartoon is chillingly true: FIFA and the Qatari government should never be forgiven for this.

4 Likes

I think Man U should subpoena Ronaldo back to uk so he misses World Cup :wink:

2 Likes

42,000 at the Arsenal /Man Utd Ladies game at The Emirates .

Some idiots on the pitch ,

What I saw of the match (cooking my tea) very enjoyable

1 Like

You’ve got to admit. He has a point.

Indeed - the Romans treatment of the Germanic tribes, the carnage caused by Viking raids in North- East England, the persecution of the Cathars
In the Languedoc- absolute bloody disgrace

I was thinking more current, other counties that bid against Qatar.

USA is quite happy to execute people.
Australia’s treatment of asylum seekers is inhumane.
Japan’s treatment of migrant workers is not good.

1 Like

It’s called whataboutism. What about the others. It deflects from reality.

2 Likes

You’re not wrong but @Ardbeg10y is quite right - it’s about deflection. Which major sporting event in recent times has involved the deaths of 6500 workers?

1 Like

To say nothing of the corrupt means by which Qatar was named host; or the lack of any football pedigree; or the absence of infrastructure; or the rights of women; or human rights in general.

2 Likes

I might be wrong, these figures might not to be totally accurate, but situation is this, from the figures I’ve heard.

6,500 is the number of migrant workers that have died since construction for the world cup infrastructure started.
That’s 650 per year, over 10 years.
Those figures are deaths from all causes, (natural causes, being kicked to death by a camel) of all migrants, not just people building the stadiums.
85% of people in Qatar are migrant workers, that’s a lot of people.
650 deaths per year from all causes, out of 85% of the population.