Football Season 2024/25

Unfortunately it looks as if we will really need to concentrate, & more, if results so far are anything to go by.

Very mixed opinions on PinkUn forum tonight, many, surprisingly for a side beaten 4 - 0, saying positive signs already starting to show. Let’s hope they prove to be correct.

Mind, it wouldn’t be Norwich without our new, potentially, star player getting injured & possibly being out for a while… hope this isn’t yet another player more often seen in the treatment room than on the pitch.

1 Like

Your boys had a couple of good runs at our goal and if it hadn’t been for two spectacular saves by Henderson you would’ve had a goal. Great fans - very lively and GSOH

We are used to opposition keeper’s having a blinder against us. Been going on for years.

As for GSOH, it’s probably the best way of coping with the rubbish they have had to put up with for most of the past 4 years.

1 Like

It’s a bit early but I think we have made one or two good buys recently and one or two of the academy lads are starting to look very promising.
In the two games I’ve seen live we look for the first time since the unfortunate departure of Farke to be developing a clear pattern of play that might just prove both entertaining and successful.:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Fingers very much crossed here as well…

1 Like

Fascinating window in which we did minimal but absolutely spot on business. No idea why we brought Waters in the first place other than as a desperate act to cover for Mullin. Terrible piece of business. Sad to lose Dalby to Scotland. Gave us some great moments but guven a hard time by fans who didn’t appreciate that he wasn’t Mullin or Palmer.

How we all feeling?

Amusingly, the only other bit of business which caught my eye was Slimani to Norwich. When I was watching us in the Carabao in Sheffield the other week he was one of two players in a much changed team who caught the eye. United commentary team ridiculed him for several misses but the bloke caused havoc. One of those players instinctively in the right place even when you think he’s not. Wilder rates him and is clearly sad to have lost him. Strongly suggests they remain in significant financial bother.

Another new signing for Leeds this morning and the best yet, totally unexpected - Willy Gnonto signs a new 4 year deal.

I was sure he was on the way out this window given that we had bought 2 wingers. Thought he was great against Sheffield Wednesday last week. He has been leaving since he joined!! What on earth changed his mind - who cares.

1 Like

Good window for us, we still have Josh Sargent in the squad!
One or two of our other signings look decent. It will be interesting to see how Gordon on loan from Liverpool turns out.
The average squad age is definitely falling.

It looks like we can’t stop signing midfielders so I think our tactic is a 5 5 formation - definitely need a strong defence & pack the midfield. We have no one who has managed to score goals (last night’s was an opposition own goal to show us how it is done) so why bother with anyone up front. Frustrating game where we had some control for about an hour, didn’t put away a second goal to give us breathing space and then gifted QPR 2 goals (our multi million pound signing defender at fault - soon substituted). Relegation scrap for us this year. Rob Edwards has now tasted the frustration of the Luton crowd after a year long honeymoon - you can say you need to learn your lessons in the Premier - doesn’t really wash so much back in the Championship. Funny game football.

A strangely subdued first half, under sunny skies at Elland Road today, with the game only really coming alive once The Mighty Whites scored their opening goal.

Thereafter, it was an object lesson in keeping hold of the ball with some very neat passing and interplay … … … not the Leeds way at all. :flushed:

A couple of the new faces put in an appearance, and seemed to fit in comfortably.

All in all, a polished performance and another three points gained.

M.O.T.

3 Likes

I thought we performed well at Coventry especially as some of the new players were playing together for the first time.
Team looks better organised and playing more entertaining football than was the case under Smith or Wagner.
In Slimane we have a central midfield player who is both neat and can hold things together which we’ve lacked since Skipp went back to Spurs. Looks a bargain at £1.4 million, according to the local paper.
Doyle at centre back looks a very good player, surprised Leicester didn’t try and loan him for a second year.

1 Like

One of those lovely afternoons when all is well with the world. Posh are fast, inventive, possess at lesst 3 EPL standard players etc. The first 20 was fast and furious and end to end. Posh began to push us back. We scored a quite superb goal. Followed up with a second from a corner and nearly added a wonderful third when we hit the bar from a thirty yard free kick. Had at least two other chances to make it three and ran out worthy winners after a quite magnificent game of football.

Particularly enjoyed that Charlie from their podcast predicted on ours that they’d put five past us and we’d especially be punished if we repeated the pattern of our first three matches and relinquished possession as he thinks there’s no-one better than Posh at finding ways to play through the lines. Posh had 68% possession and our keeper had zero saves to make in 100 minutes.

We’re edgy as a crowd following just missing out last season and throwing away the Portsmouth game. In reality we’ve made a good start and we look to have recruited sensibly. Solomon is clearly a class above & the cameo appearances were encouraging. We still lack a lock picker in the centre but we should be fine. It looked comfortable in the end. I had Gnonto as motm. Pleased he’s signed on for another 4 years. Another player who stands out in the championship. Good day all in all.

3 Likes

Seemingly the board at Blackpool want to get relegated to L2.

Here’s a very odd man indeed but I’d have given Keogh a chance if he wanted it.

They won’t welcome his style of football and, I’d guess, it’ll go as well as Sparky at Bradford. Pleasing as a Wrexham fan as it likely takes out a potential play off contender.

I think you mean the National League - he’s got a two year contract!

1 Like

Another ludicrous win.

20 minutes of brilliance followed by a lovely team goal. Then we fall asleep but score a second just when we need it and totally against the run of play. Could have had at least three more. Nearly gifted them a silly goal. Less than 8 second later the ball is in their net.

Fairly violent game. Cleworth and McClean wiped out twice. Barney also wiped out. Dobson ought to have walked for us. Rathbone will get better but was probably the weak point today. Marriott and especially Palmer were outstanding.

Think I should also add in somewords of love for Bellamy’s managerial debut. Quite something.

2 Likes

Mike, I wish our season was going as badly as you confidently predicted that yours would go just a few short weeks ago.

And, don’t say it. I know that there is still away to go!

1 Like

Not sure I predicted ours would go badly so much as top 10 would be brilliant but anything above 15th more than good enough for a first season back at this level. I’m actually going to stand by that. We’ve made a great start, far better than almost anyone anticipated, but it’s just that. A start. Yesterday was the first game of six where we’ve had more possession. Better teams than Shrewsbury will kill us in those periods we don’t have the ball. Yesterday’s brilliant 20 minutes was followed by 40 minutes of 2 midfielders sitting so deep there was a huge hole in there just waiting for a competent team to exploit it. It’s already noticeable how trans are targeting O’Connor at left back for his lack of pace and other weaknesses will show themselves.

My considered position remains that the season starts in November.

1 Like