For the love of the Violin

A lovely podcast episode about capturing the sound of ancient Stradivari for posterity.

Heartening in these difficult times.

And it got me thinking: can you give your favourite solo violin recordings so that we may compile a list for us all to enjoy?

Passacaglia-biber

Difficult… If I had to choose but one I’d pick Victoria Mullova, Bach sonatas and partitas

2 Likes

Alfredo Campoli playing the Tchaikovsky.

He described it to my friend who knew him as ‘…a bit of a boxing match…’ but it’s wonderfully lyrical.

G

I’d probably agree with ClaudeP, but if not there is a fantastic Nathan Milstein recital disc I love. I don’t often like single movements played out of the context of the full piece, but this recital works for me, and it has my favourite ever Chaconne from Partita No. 2.

I found the same recording on a different labelon discogs as Ermitage 107 ADD, couldn’t find this aura press there, I did see this version on sale used on U.K. Amazon last year.

Not strictly solo…but Hugh Bean The Lark Ascending by RVW gets my soul going, every time ever since I first heard it as a callow youth…
I had it played at my Mum’s funeral…she would have approved. Music that takes one to higher places, literally :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.