Forum average age

Forums in connection with HiFi seem to be an attraction of an audio culture which is mainly unheard of in every day life, so for me its a place of the lost and found. A sort of family where every one understands each other, have mostly empathy for each other in our pursuit for audio or musical heaven.

Things I have to say to avoid giving my age!

1 Like

Heck, I used to do that…about 40 years ago!

1 Like

107 entry’s to date awesome
Imo the interesting area are the 31 to 40 is a little bit concerning. Maybe children take up the audio budget.

Fits the bell-curve.

And, of course, Naim forum membership, with participation in threads like this as measured by the poll, is not necessarily an indication of either Naim or wider hifi ownership. That said, Based on my own awareness I do think the observations about hifi and age distribution are about right.

It would be interesting to know at what age forum members bought their first piece of “real” Hi-Fi, ie defined as something that was non-trivial in terms of cost relative to their then current income and generally recognised as being better than most of their peers had.
Best

David

V[quote=“davidhendon, post:26, topic:223”]
It would be interesting to know at what age forum members bought their first piece of “real” Hi-Fi, ie defined as something that was non-trivial in terms of cost relative to their then current income and generally recognised as being better than most of their peers had.
Best
[/quote]

My first hifi system, that I built at age 16 (modular amp, home-brew plinth holding TT and amp, and DIY soeakers designed by myself after a lot of research (books in those days!). Cost a whopping £65 - whopping in 1969 when my income was about 25p a week pocket money and £1.50 a week paper round. And it sounded far better than anything any of my friends had heard, including whatever any of our parents had. And through DIY it was equivalent to things costing quite a lot more ready built.

There’s a pic in the thread Long-gone, once-had or childhood system pics in the hifi corner.

That said, I don’t think being better than anything any of your peers had has anything to do with whether or not it was the first bit of real hifi someone has - Regardless of level of system and relativity to one’s own income, one could have had a friend with vastly greater resources who happened to have something better.

1 Like

Now I’ve admitted to being Xanthe, I find myself in the same boat (fortunately not Charon’s boat as yet).

I wonder how the statistics would look if you asked at what age you purchased your first Naim kit and how many years you have ben using Naim equipment.

Don’t forget the Charon gets payed in euros these days!

1 Like

I bought my first Naim when I was in my 40s, it’s when I had the means and no more demanding uses for them. 15 years on and I’m about done with upgrading except for maybe speakers and a cartridge so neither is likely to be Naim.

My first 42 - 110 when i was 21, and now 55

Regards

Roberto

No wonder Naim are producing the Uniti range to try and attract a younger market.
If this survey is correct I’d be a worried CEO.

Nonsense. There will always be old people!

4 Likes

That’s ok but if they have grown old with the brand, as I suspect, it’s not ok.
Hence the Uniti range.

1 Like

Unless they introduce euthanasia to control population…

Then the definition of old shifts …

94% of us are over the age of 50…
…and with many seeking retirement at 55…:sunglasses:

I think they’re are getting younger and younger thanks to the new generation of streamers.

well, i’m almost 70 – not retired yet, silly me! :slight_smile:
enjoy/ken

notice how well dressed the cable is though – doesn’t look like its touching the floor or the little one’s body :slight_smile:

enjoy/ken

1 Like