Fraim black anodising change color?

I’d ask either to return the level or for a reduction sufficient to buy a new set of uprights. You can buy just the main outside bits, without the bolts, tops and bottoms.

And we have the pink collection by Naim — a couple of examples in Japan, if my recollection is correct. If not, @feelingzen should shout.

I have a SuperUniti that developed a very pink front panel after a few years. Naim changed it at no cost to me while they were replacing the screen (which I did pay for).

You’ve been cheated. The seller send you Olive Fraim when you should have gotten Classic Fraim. :stuck_out_tongue:

I hope you get that sorted. As stated, you can get just the legs. I have bought full sets of legs with bolts for about $200. Sans bolts, should save $50 or so.

I’ve no experience of Fraim, however I have had black anodised objects that over the years have developed a purplish hue, and others that have developed a golden patina.

My old 282/HiCap got a little bit purple by the time I sold it. I didn’t realize how much until I took pictures for my seller’s post. I really hope my current system holds color for a long time. I’m not replacing/upgrading any of it this point on.

Hi all

Having spent 30 years in the finishing trade I saw plenty of effected parts from going grey to a purple or Green hue after uv exposure. Anodising is not black, it’s a dye absorbed in the pores of coating (same for any colour). It’s success (or otherwise) depends on many things including the grade of aluminium used. For black you need bigger pores so is usually done at a warmer temperature and a higher thickness to give the die a better chance of working. Halfords satin black spray is a good substitute to having parts recoated or replaced if you fancy a bit of diy.

2 Likes

The sad thing is, that defect is actually a lovely colour. A Fraim all in that would look great. Silver and Black just don’t cut it domestically. Brass, Copper, and Bronze would be make great additions to the finish selection.

My 30yr+ old Olive 52 and PS facial are now a lovely shade of Purple. Makes them sound better :wink:

Are the saying the polycarbonate fascias have gone from olive to purple? Or are you referring to the internal tray underneath? (I’ve seen quite a few trays that have gone like that - the rear panel is the giveaway).

Yes, the front facia with all the knobs/switches.

When was Fraim and Fraim Lite introduced to the market for the first time?

2003/4?

Fraim was introduced in 2002. Fraim Lite came much later in 2011.

2 Likes

The seller may not have realised they had faded if he didn’t have another shelf to compare it to. Either way, any decent person would accept a return so that seems the sensible route.

1 Like

I bought my fraim when it first came out in 2002, and it is still in good shape, good finish, despite the fact that I live in Cali where the fraim suffers long sun exposure every day.

@Blackbird, in terms of whether the Fraim was correctly described as advertised, were there any pictures, and if so was there any visible difference in the colour of the legs on one shelf? Not necessarily as distinct as in your photos with the light angles you have, but anything that shows that pair of legs is different?

Edit: just realised that it was only the one shelf you bought. In which case as @thebadyogi said, the seller may simply have been unaware of the changed colour - indeed could have been exactly as when s/he had acquired the shelf, whether new or secondhand, or they could be that they believe that all units develop a similar patina with time, so making it normal for a used one. Significantly, the term “in beautiful condition” is not the same as “mint” or “as new” or “in perfect original condition”: to the seller, and likely other people, the description ‘beautiful condition’ may be quite genuine with that colour.

Personally I don’t see a strong case for return, though of course worth asking. However it may be that you could negotiate a partial refund (though maybe not if the cost was significantly lower than normally expected for a mint Fraim Lite shelf).

Should… ought to… But… these days… probably not.

Update. The seller agreed to have the front legs changed to another pair he has. He sell one Fraim and one Fraim Lite so hopefully the other rack has black legs and not gold. The back leg was deep black so it is obvious they have changed colour due to sunlight. Never seen or heard about it before so maybe a bad batch from the past.

2 Likes

It happens. I had a whole batch of gear bought at the same time where the fascia turned purple without even sunlight over the first 6 months. The 282 actually went shocking pink. Some people probably remember the pics I posted on the forum. If you didn’t see it, you’d never believe it. It was a anodising issue and Naim helped me rectify the issue some years later.

2 Likes