Fraim is going in

I have always found the pre amp, particularly the 552, benefits from being on the top shelf with air around it.

Looking forward to your feedback when your 552 arrives back.

I will, hopefully soon

Marc is correct. I have a twin Fraim rack in the classic configuration of brains on the left and brawn on the right. My 552 is on the top shelf of the left rack. The Rossini is on the top shelf of the right rack while the Rossini Master Clock is on its own shelf on the bottom of the same rack.

Dunc is right - there seem to be more and more Naim users making the move to dCS sources.

Best
Gregg

1 Like

I was not believing during some years that having power supplies in another rack could make really a difference.
But it did, it’s obvious on the first seconds.

1 Like

I guess if i had a medium level, i could replace one off the high levels and then the rossini could sit above the 500. Then the other high level, i could fit my 2 standard levels in its place, and the 552 could sit in that.

So anyone want to swap a high for a medium?

Dunc, you can just buy the metal struts and convert yourself, bought mine via my dealer and converted std to medium.

Cheers
I could buy them.
I could cut mine down, as have right kit to do it right.
Or I could swap.

In no rush and just wanted to see if anyone was after some and wanted to swap first.

1 Like

Well just went for it earlier tonight, chop saw out and one set off high legs are now medium.
Also moved things around and replaced the other high with my spare standard height legs.
So still have spare high legs, if I need them.

As for looks, compared to what I had before, well I prefer the fraim, and pleased I went all black, rather than try and match different shades of the wood, as my OCD probably would have blown lol.
My wife, well she still hates it, and thinks I am mad.

The import bit sound.
Well I have never been a believer, better get that out first, but it certainly sounds different.
Its not night and day, but the best way I can describe the difference is pace, its more alive, fast. I guess the metal from floor to top, over wood legs makes a difference, as that really is the only main difference.

Just need my 552 back and I feel, its time to sit back and just enjoy, as I can honestly say for the first time ever in my hifi journey, I don’t feel the need or want, for any anything else.

11 Likes

Nice Dunc, is the 552 going underneath the turntable? I am also curious about what chop saw you used, since I am a machinist. Kind of wondering if you milled the cut end square again somehow?

But, she’ll be happy with this:

4 Likes

Looks nicely balanced (when the 552 is back in at least) especially as the tops are pretty level.

and I give that about a week… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, the 552 will be going in the top space, can’t really do much else? Unless any better ideas guys.
Chop saw, with fine blade, cut it very easily, all exactly the same length and 100% square, didn’t even need to file any bits. Then just touched up the cut metal edge with a permanent marker pen and you can’t even tell.

1 Like

Well right now I can’t think off anything, or even that nagging, I want, feeling.
Very relaxing really and I like it

2 Likes

Very happy for you. I also was skeptical about Fraim until I got some home. I now get what people were saying that Fraim is like a black box upgrade.

Hi Dunc. I know that my ‘advice’ has not been universally welcomed but here is what I’d do, in order to allow best cable dressing for the 552 and 500. It would need you to reduce your other tall legs to medium but once done would provide two racks of exactly equal height to give a better visual balance. Using the best modern technology available to me I have come up with a suggested layout. I hope you find it useful.

7 Likes

Why not?
Rega on wall shelf

First Fraim:
DCS with clock, on top.
Rega Aura
Nap 500

Second Fraim:
500 ps
552 ps
Rega ps

I could do that, just need to cut my spare legs down, would just need to check the height, as the rossini would be higher, and might be in the way of the tv speaker. But i like your plan.

Looking at your photo I’m pretty sure it would fit. It would also lower the Rega so it’s totally beneath the screen.

Looking at it right now, it looks like the P10 could sit on the 4 stack and be low enough, but the DCS would have to sit on the other side and be a medium and 2 standards to keep it low enough

In HH plan, the main source, DCS, sits in the same rack as all the ps. Is DCS immune to that?