Fraim parts missing

I remember the time when some burndies were omitted from boxes of 300s. Some whipped themselves up into such a state of indignation that I suggested they might wish to see the heads of the staff responsible hanging from the Salisbury’s city walls.

In this case, moaning on the internet has achieved nothing whatsoever over and above that which would have happened had the dealer simply been phoned in the morning, which it seems what was done anyway.

I had a Roman blind installed last week that looked a bit wonky. I could have sounded off on Mumsnet about the blind being indicative of a total collapse of quality control and sent blind lovers everywhere into a frenzy. Instead, I rang them, had a chat and all was resolved, with everyone involved being completely happy.

Stuff happens. Perfection is impossible.

2 Likes

People live their life on the internet these days…:confounded:

Hi Swinnerton,
Thank you for your symphaty,
After all my post was not meant to be a negative feedback with Naim let alone my dealer. Over the years of Naim ownership i always showed great appreciation for the Naim brand and all the people involved, both here on the forum and in the real world. Who says i complain for nothing is not true. In the past had a few S600 BMR failures which i never told. The latter is with my older '07 CDX2 which after a mech replacement is still producing a strange periodic noise while plaiyng certain tracks. The odd fact is that it stayed at local Naim service centre with the same specific cd (Lisa Gerrard Silver Tree) and was apparently fine. I finally collected it this week but from the beginning made strange scratching noise like a brutally damaged vinyl, the day after was perfectly silent instead while yesterday such fault again.
I was thinking about a Dac issue but my techincian says not. Anyone had a similar issue ? This player has been already already recapped last year but not the whole mother board.

1 Like

HH - all views are respected but this isn’t about individuals (in any way), it’s about application and robustness of QC process, which is especially important for a business when it’s under operational stress, and can quite easily veer off in to ‘busy fool’ territory/highlight disconnected management practices (which expensive consultants feast on)*.

This is all the more important with international shipments - assuming local territory distributors and dealers don’t/are unlikely to carry spares(?).

Ye old ‘measure twice/thrice, cut once’ mantra if you like.

If you want to align with the likes of Bentley and other premium brands then, IMV, things like this shouldn’t happen - a Bentley delivered with 3 wheels or 4 wheels and not wheel nuts?!

*And it’s highly laudable that Naim allow the Forum to operate and mention these issues openly, as it’s another feedback loop for them - something which Charlie H. has recognised in previous comments.

2 Likes

Dear @rsch I had exact same problem! About 6 weeks ago but with framlite. Missing cups. But extra spikes. Actually i emailed Naim direct first but heard nothing for 10 days or so, so rang dealer which I should have done first. Naim sent first class with a nice apology slip.

1 Like

You are right of course. There should be a proper process in place to ensure that all the right bits end up in the box, and it’s really not particularly hard hard to do if everything is working as it should. One would hope that Naim’s left and right hands are connected so that errors fed back from dealers and customers are recorded, analysed and fed into the packing process so that these things don’t happen.

I’d be a bit cross if my Fraim arrived without key bits and I’d be calling the dealer like a shot. I just wouldn’t post about it on here before calling the dealer.

A while ago a Rega power supply fell apart. So I emailed my dealer, they contacted Rega and a replacement arrived at my house direct from Rega the next day. My feeling about Rega is wholly positive. As someone said above, it’s how things are resolved that counts, as things will always go wrong.

1 Like

This is getting a bit personal from some posters - Please desist. The OP’s Fraim issue is getting sorted out.

3 Likes

Roberto, when you say strange scratching noise with the CDX2, do you mean in replay during playback or physically from the actual player itself when playing a particular disc?

Yes Richard, this is during playback, not a mechanical noise of the player itself.
It’s a real mistery to all of us.
I was thinking to go for something more radical, changing all the mother board like i did on the other CDX2-2 and eventually another mech

Regards
Roberto

My first thought was the DAC, but the Burr Brown DAC is usually very reliable - much more so than the old Philips TDA1541As. Perhaps @NeilS has come across such an issue and might have an idea…?

Or perharps due to interaction between new mech and the rest ?

I couldn’t say, but @NeilS might well have an idea…

Hopefully Naim will take note and improve things. A customer pd off is not good and he can say what the hell he likes, where and how. Hope you’re having a better day today sir.

Of course. They can write it on the side of a bus or hire a plane to fly over Salisbury with a banner streaming from the back if the wish. Similarly, I should be free to express my view. The OP can object if he wishes, but you are only involved as a third party.

Hi rsch,

This does sound like a transport skipping issue rather than an audio processing IC problem.
If your player is a VAM1202 model (clamp 5), it may be subject to a technical notification (document TN-0001 issue 3) which covers a capacitor change to cover variability in the transport mechanisms.
Do you know if your local Naim service centre was aware & carried this out?

Regards
Neil.

I should have added - the TN document is dated 28/08/08.

Hi Neil ,
i will report this to Mr Lotti of Lasa. The mech was replaced a few months ago, because occasionaly did not the TOC. The one fitted after was actually worse and they eventually replaced with another one of a batch just received from Naim factory.
Today i played the same record perfectly without faults.

Regards
Roberto

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.