Fraim query

Does anyone really play music, stop music, switch off, unplug, disconnect, move the box, flip the glass, refit the box, reconnect, plug in, switch on, play music and notice an improvement or detriment. Do you do it all again to be sure it’s the glass and not something else?

I question my sanity every time but I do the ding/donk test when I rebuild. Half of the time I can’t tell the difference. Other times it dings more with the glass the other way round to last max ding orientation.

We really are an odd bunch :grinning:

2 Likes

If you use Fraim guards or mark the glass,you only have to do it one time :wink:

If I get the fraim my wife might call the people in white coats to come and get me

1 Like

Except it changes…

The cables are dressed just fine, and the subs add a dimension to the music I would miss. It’s irrelevant though. There’s nothing wrong as far as I’m concerned. Music sounds great.

Okay,just my thoughts.

1 Like

Fair enough, but I really have no complaints or problems to begin with. I am not seeking help. :slight_smile:

I am just pointing out I don’t notice differences for certain things other people claim to, like muting the record bank, or tuning out the preamp lights. My wife doesn’t hear the muting, lights difference either.

As for the shelves, when I built the Fraim I did the ping test as best I could. I just took Richard’s word for it that it makes a difference. I don’t have the aural memory to disassemble and reassemble Fraim shelves to determine if it does. Over the years I have likely (but maybe not) lost track of order/orientation of the glass, etc. If it makes a difference, it’s not profound enough that I notice, so I don’t worry about it.

The subs are one of the best upgrades I have done in a long time. Your suggestion to turn them off started my day of with comedy. Thanks for that.

1 Like

At your level of equipment it should be easy to hear the difference,I think.
But good that you are happy with the sound of the music.

I don’t agree. If something makes a small difference, and it takes 10 minutes to change equipment to listen for it I won’t know if it did. Big differences, yes (like when I tried my NDX2 with and without a XPSDR). Little ones, no. I’m sure a lot of other people are the same way. Maybe you have better memory of small changes to sound quality than I do.

Where I can hear differences – for example – is trying different cartridge VTF or resistive loads on my Superline, but I can play a record, pause, change VTF or loading, and play it again to compare in about 10 secs. or so. Or adjusting subwoofer gain/xover. That’s pretty instant. Non-power cables are also something I can compere, since I can make the change quickly enough.

TBH: I don’t care that much about all the subtle little differences in sound quality. I’m happy to get my system to 90% optimal so I can stop playing music to listen to my system, and start using my system to listen to music. I think the constant tweaking and adjusting is a very joyless experience.

5 Likes

Yes people have different skills,no problem just follow tweaks that comes from Naim,like muting the record bank it’s free and take a second to do,then back to the music.

From sports, many small improvements add up to a substantial benefit in final performance.

1 Like

My Record Bank is muted. I should be golden. :slight_smile:

Perfect ! :sunny:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.