Freezers

It’s just arrived! So excited to get the app going. Can’t wait to monitor the internal temperature.

Just think, when one day you can have an exotic holiday again, you could be sipping a cocktail on a Caribbean island, watching an opera in the Verona amphitheatre, or watching lions in a game reserve in Africa … with your phone or tablet on your knee, monitoring the temperature of the fridge and freezer, the temperature of each room in your house, and adjust the lounge because your son who’s been at home clearly forgot to set before going back to work today. You’d be able to check whether said son had been using the dishwasher daily instead of waiting till it was full, and check whether the washing machine had remembered to run at the 36.8 degrees you’d set. Oh, and is that shade of orange for the orangery lighting right for a Monday? Best tweak a bit. Phew, how did we manage before everything was linked? You wouldn’t have enjoyed the holiday for worry…!

Bad news is I can’t switch it on for 8 hours, due to having to wait for any fluids to settle inside. That makes it 9pm and then it’s too late to start setting up.

Good news is it’s perfect with no cosmetic issues. It’s not particularly pretty or fancy, just a quality put together white good. At least no money was wasted on fancy brushed finishes as is the case with most mass produced cookers.

We have a Smeg fridge freezer in the kitchen. It’s selling point was that one of the two lower compartments can be either a fridge or a freezer which has come in handy.

1 Like

Now that is useful, Gazza!

1 Like

Semi-useful fact:

According to the company that moved our house, the heaviest washing machine on the market (8years ago) was the Miele, he nearly pulled a hernia just looking at ours.

There is no absolute critical temperature that a freezer needs to be set at. For decades people have been turning a little dial in their freezers and varying the setpoint, without even knowing the setpoint temperature. (I can set my freezer from 0 to 4???) :thinking:

Freezers can cope with disconnected power for quite a long time. (48 hours ???) I can’t see a problem with turning the compressor on once a day (night) when there’s plenty of excess electricity in the system.

It doesn’t really matter whether you or the other forum luddites think it’s a good idea. It will happen eventually. :grinning:

1 Like

We got one of those Samsumg fridges temporarily with supposedly quiet inverter technology - noisiest fridge I’ve ever heard, an almost constant rushing water sound with frequent odd clunks and other noises. We were planning to get one of the bigger style Samsung fridge/freezers, but I’m not so sure now. The Samsung ones look nice compared to many though.

Our washer/dryer weights 102kg.

1 Like

Let’s see if this rings true.

Our Meile softtronic W3122 washer is specified at 94kg. A little under, but not including the dryer mechanicals.

I think something much more practical for everyday users, is the much touted ‘shopping list’ feature often cited on ‘house of the future’ or ‘smart house’ articles.

I am not sure how this would work in reality (perhaps some kind of recognition software for goods), but the freezer would send you a continuously updated list of items to an app on your phone, adding milk to it when it detects the freezer is low.

I am sure someone in Asia is working on it as we speak.

1 Like

Our Navitronic Miele 1600 rpm direct drive was about that weight - it went bang with a lot of smoke a few years ago.

I know little about the advancement of power management or load shifting for cheaper more efficient use of energy but this is definitely an industry trend with ever growing power demands and feeds back PV generated power into the grid. Refrigeration is one prime candidate due to the potentially continuous power consumptions. I can picture once some system / framework is in place, fridge and freezer could communicate with the smart meter understanding when power is cheaper and “smartly” power manage itself. I don’t see this being the responsibility of the meter nor the power company. They won’t take responsibility of all the items going bad in my fridge.

Freezer is supposedly -18c and fridge 4c. They both can be set in my fridge which is a LG dual french door dual door-in-door type with glass finish. Horribly heavy because of the glass finish over stainless steel but no dents to worry about (may be chips :smiley:). Door in door makes accessing such as drinks etc very convenient given we have 2 layers of doors. And the glass finish has additional feature of making one look slim, a big plus for my mrs. :joy:

2 Likes

I also like Smeg a lot, mine has been working great for about 10 years now.

Our 8 year old Miele washing machine weighs 96 kg.

It was delivered into our hall still packed, as I wouldn’t pay £25 for the driver to take the packaging off. I came home from work, took my jacket off and gave it a tentative lift on one corner. Nothing moved. So I changed out of my smart work trousers and came back to try seriously to move it. Still nothing moved. I could feel a twinge starting in my back.

So I went over the road to our neighbour who was a gym teacher at a secondary school. He and a mate had just come back from a run, both all sweaty still. I said “Perfect I need help and you are both warmed up!” The three of us got it the 5 metres into the utility room. Then I spent an hour wiggling it across the floor into the space and connected it up. It hasn’t moved since. The flooring underneath it is different to the newer flooring everywhere else in the room.

When it comes time to replace it, I will pay whatever money is needed to get it moved again by anyone but me!

Best

David

3 Likes

Thats the concrete slap inside for inertia. Even a Miele with 7kg washing capacity weights 85kg. :joy:

1 Like

That sounds like a fridge not freezer… (I guess the I think fridges are a close enough relative to bracket with them in wifi discussions, though max temp is more critical - that is temp of perishable contents, not temp of the air in the box).

When our heavy Miele went bang 2 years ago I searched for the lightest in stock WM at Currys - it was a Samsung which was around 56 kg - light enough just for me to bundle it into the car boot with shop floor assitance and for me and Mrs AC to get into the utility.

Even at 56kg I agree the fee for an installer would have been worth it but we needed something very quickly!

It may be one with different zones.

Or a freezer where the electric company is still waiting for the wind… Should be here tomorrow.

2 Likes