From Dynaudio to Proac

I have zero experience with dynauadio but love my modest ProAc 148 with uniti star. It’s amazing how it just showed the tragic sound quality of Jay Z Empire State of Mind track some minutes ago :wink: compressed, thin, grating. Good recordings sound full and exciting!

2 Likes

@pbode, this is massive generalisation. I find ProAc especially ones with soft dome very sweet, awesome for acoustic and vocals which I am a sucker for.

I don’t like ribbon tweeter as much, they are a touch piercing to my ears although one tends to like that in the showroom thinking he can hear more details. And they are more fussy with placement probably because its treble is more directional. ProAcs are easy to drive and pair wonderfully with Naim and tube amps.

Dynaudio, on the other hand, whilst is harder to drive, with a strong powerful amp, the presentation is awesome and bass is convincing or authoritative. Great for orchestral music, electronic music, etc. A tad clinical perhaps, very neutral.

3 Likes

I have to listen at low volumes much of the time and currently have a 250DR into Dyn S40s. I can’t say that I have any reservations about the tonal balance or the depth of sound. I suspect that the room is a big factor and whether you find ProAc, Dyn, or any of the normal suspects works best will depend on the room/speaker synergy. Rule One: Home demo always!

Cool, For Dynaudio you use terms I would use myself, which is making me think I could relate to your description of ProAC signature as well. I too usually feel like tweeters draw attention to themselves rather quickly…earlier than my friends do anyway. Thanks!

I have thought about making a switch from my Dynaudio Focus 110’s to Proac Tablette 10’s but auditioning is a bit of a faff at the moment and I don’t want to throw the baby out with the bath water.
The Dyns are positioned where it would be better to have a sealed box really, being in the corners.
I have plugged the ports and for the most part it works well but there is always that feeling that the bass is too full on certain tracks and the Tablettes may solve that. There again they may be too bass light.

Wow, it just goes to show that everyone hears things differently. I found the exact opposite. The ribbon smooth and sweet mids, the dome more etched and brighter. It’s a matter of personal preference which one is preferred which is why ProAc offer both types.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.