From nait xs, upgrade to where?

Hi I am looking for some seasoned opinions as to a next upgrade. I have a nait xs which I’ve had for about 10 years. I upgraded with a used hicap (not DR) about a year ago and was very impressed with the improvement. I have a Kuzma Stabi s stobi s with Ortofon quintet black cart, Tom Evans microgroove+ phono stage, inuos zen mini2 and psu, chord mojo, into Neat motive SE2s (also 10 years old) using Nac a5.

I have notice some good used prices on 202/200 pairings would this be a good improvement and what would it bring? I am also planning a speaker upgrade, proac d20r/ d2r or Spendor a7 might stretch to d7.2 if funds allow my room is about 16m2 speakers can’t be too far from wall up to 50cm from rear. any thoughts would be appreciated.

1 Like

A 202/200 combo will be a very good improvement on what you have. More separation, better dynamics and a wider soundstage.

Keep your hicap and add a napsc as well. Then you will be in business. Your speakers will sound different. I would do this first and then look at speakers if you feel the need.

Another alternative is an 82 with 250 olive or CB which would be similar money to a 202/200 but sound much better still. It’s whether you like the old style boxes or not?

Good luck with your choices!

4 Likes

Hi Dan thanks for the feedback. Definitely food for thought, not thought of looking at the older naim stuff. In looking on another forum thread opinion is to consider supernait 2 or 3 as an alternative to 202/200. I’d have thought the pre-power would be significantly better? Any thoughts?

1 Like

Separates system will inevitably be better. Not everyone wants 4 boxes when they can have one.

Take it from me I have the 82 with 2 x 135s and prior to that a 250CB.

If you can live with different boxes, the sound will amaze you and beat a 202 200 or Supernait 2 or 3.

Just factor in a service. Darran at Class A is Naim authorised and very reasonable. If you get them serviced they will be as good as new.

An 82 = 282. A 52= 252. A 102 = 202. Pretty much the same. Slightly different, maybe slight improvements. But not everyone thinks the newer stuff is necessarily better. Older stuff tends to sound more organic and warmer!

If I had my way I would go 552 with 500. But for the money an 82 with Napsc, Hicap and 250 CB or olive is best way to spend your money. I reckon you can get the 82 and 250 for under 2k and sell your XS and eBay. Not a big amount for an amazing upgrade.

But, I am biased and let’s see what others have to say. And from what I hear a 72 is a good punt as well. But no remote!

3 Likes

There are often a few 202/200s around on the used market, and you can find good deals, but always do your research. Ask the seller the age, and any service history.
An unserviced amp is likely to need a recap after around 10 years, so you may need to budget for that. A Naim authorised service will essentially return the amp to ‘as new’ condition.
I would take a 202/200 over a Supernait any day, but only if it’s in good condition and properly set up on a decent rack with a shelf for each box. If you don’t have enough space for that, a Supernait is still a good option.

6 Likes

Definitely a pre and power route.
The pre-amp is actually more important than the power amp. Of course both are needed but it’s the pre-amp that in a way defines the sound.

So my advice is to search for the best pre-amp you can find and want to spend your money on.

Also… do not discard an excellent N272.

4 Likes

Thanks this has been really helpful. I’ll definitely explore a retro setup though that looks interesting. I had my thoughts on moving to separate pre/power this confirms my thinking. I have been told not to worry about used Naim due to the excellent build and service back up. My nait xs was ex-dem as I remember, I’ve never had a problem apart from a now failed remote. Thanks again.

1 Like

Hi Dan, just been looking around at older stuff, you’ve inspired me! But they don’t have rcas can you get adapters for the naim dins? My dac uses rca so does my phono.

1 Like

Best to get an RCA to DIN cable rather than an adapter. Some Naim amps have some RCA sockets, but it’s always best to use DIN where available.

3 Likes

@ChrisSU is spot on. RCA to DIN cables are easily available on the usual sites and there are many higher grade option cables from Chord, Naim and witchhat to name but a few.

The legacy products are just as good as the newer ones if not better!

1 Like

Hi Dan, I’ve gone and taken a punt on a nac 82 on a well known auction site. It looks good and was serviced last year. I have no power amp yet, so here is my question. If I got a newer black nap 200 or 250 will they work well together? I assume they will. Also will I be compromising on that “organic and warm sound”? Or do I wait for a chrome 250 to come up. I may contact James at tt to see if he has anything. Thanks for your advice.

1 Like

Personally I would go with a 250 over a 200. Olive, CB or new black. A serviced 82 will be fantastic and will work well with any of the above and a 200. The 250 will give more oomph. I had a serviced 250CB and it was fantastic and sounded similar to th 135s. The 135s have more power and fans that prevent overheating.

I swapped to the 135s as I was playing music very loud and the 250CB would cut out as a safety measure.

Consider the 135s if you are going to play music loud for sustained periods. The 250 is a gem and good value with CB and Olive or a 250.2. The 250DR will be great but a bit pricier!

1 Like

A 250CB or olive should be available for under £1000. A 250.2 looking at £1500 and a 250DR around £2800. Factor in servicing costs. If you can get a CB or olive serviced for less than a £1000 then you have a good deal!

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. I’ll get looking around and see. There was a 250cb on a buy it now but it disappeared as unsold. It was an early one but serviced last year for 1000. I might contact and see if it’s still available.

1 Like

It’s the best way to do it if it’s serviced already and in good nick. You’ll end up getting a system for 30% of the price new and serviced and nearly as good as the new 282 and 250 IMHO!

It’s how I’ve built my system which sounds amazing!

1 Like

There is a CB250 on eBay but reckon the serviced one is a better punt if it’s unsold!

1 Like

@Dan_M thanks for advice. I now have a Nac 82, and Nap 250-2. I missed out on an olive 250 from TomTom by a day but was advised to try the 250-2 as I can upgrade to DR. There didn’t seem to be a CB that l liked the look of. Anyway I’ve got the 250 and my hicap at Darrans for a service so haven’t been able to try yet. I’m looking forward to getting it all up and running. I’ll let you know how I get on👍

3 Likes

Another vote for 202/200 .Then upgrade the HC to DR spec. a Powerline may be very beneficial as well for a moreorganic sound like i tried years ago in a interim system with CD555/PSU DR, bare Nait XS/Powerline into SL2
Regards
Roberto

1 Like

Congratulations @Philpepp. You will absolutely love your set up. Looking forward to hearing your impressions on your superb set up! Well done again.

Hi @Dan_M. Well all up and running for a few weeks now. Currently got Ryan Adams at Carnegie Hall on and sounds amazing. The system is brilliant, I’m finding it difficult to stop listening. Darran didn’t service the 250 in the end as big delays on parts. So I’m going wait and send to Naim to DR later this year. Hopefully another uplift. Thanks again for suggestions…love the look of the 82 btw!

2 Likes