From ND5XS to NDX on SN3?

Because I moved from ND5XS to NDC before the Qutest was launched.

What source do you listen to? To me thatā€™s the deciding factor in this sort of choice, when you have to make one due to budget constraints (and who doesnā€™t have those).

If you want to access modern hi-res streaming services, like Qobuz, you need a more powerful streaming engine with more modern software.

If youā€™re happy with limited streaming platform support (which might even diminish further in the near future) or you only stream from local NAS, then you can certainly go for an older second hand model with better SQ.

Thatā€™s one reason I went for an NDX2 over a NDS or 555. My expectations on the lifecycle for platform extensions outweighed cost benefits for me. Even though the 555 is going to be around for a long time, and Iā€™m sure thereā€™ll be some upgrades available, I just still see the streaming market as a whole developing real fast. Others may have different priorities.

Regards,

Currently 90-95% is streamed from Tidal. The rest from my 1500+ CD classical collection on the CD5x+Flatcapx and rarely from the also rather extensive collection on a Synology NAS. I do have the impression that the old CD player still performs well compared to Tidal, but probably mainly because of the PSU.

An important factor is also that I use the streamerā€™s DAC for all Netflix and TV streaming. I am intrigued by high quality music servers (for local storage and streaming services), but also by the option to replace the CD for a modern transport (such as 6000CDT).

The more I think about it the future streaming support is actually a key concern. That was actually one of the reasons of thinking about alternatives to NAIM. It seems waiting for pre-owned ND5XS2 and DAC options seem the way to go as NDX2 wonā€™t be in reach in the near future.

1 Like

Can you audition a vanilla ND5 XS 2 at home?

Then take out a trial of Qobuz for a month? Especially if youā€™re more into classical and jazz.

To me that would be the logical step before following any alternative more esoteric route.

This streamer also has digital inputs (for your TV) and would allow you to judge if 24 bit source material was a significant step up for your current system. I think it will be. Not only is it much more detailed, and allows more dynamic range (if the sound engineer chooses to use it), the anti aliasing filters can be much more relaxed. Plus the catalogue you can access for a reasonable yearly subscription is simply enormous. BTW I know Tidal now offers the plus option but Iā€™ve never experienced MQA myself and have no real desire to.

Regards,

Very much interested how you would advise regarding possible upgrading from my Neat Momentum 4i compared to more modern speakers. I really like these speakers, but I would love to have a more open, naturally and effortlessly but still excitingly detailed sound. These speakers are already quite forward in the living room at 70cm (from the back) because they quickly loose depth in soundscape. They are at 230cm apart (about the max) and the listening position is at 300-310cm, toed-in at estimated 15 degrees (less tends to reduce focus and impact). Left side has no wall and right has a bookcase at about 80cm. I would definitely look at used speakers sourced from my SN3 (+ soon to be connected HiCapDR).

First rule of speakers is demo in your home but with used this is difficult although you can sell on at minimal loss. But you can reduce the risk by buying speakers that are room friendly and to that Iā€™d recommend Kudos S10 or S20. Very easy to place and neutral sounding.

And again there we go ā€¦ ND5XS disappearing from app and saying ā€œOther client connectedā€, running extremely hot and not willing to get back to business without full shut down and restart. Reinstalling the app, upgrading to the modern fully updated wired internet, clearing cache in the app ā€¦ all to no avail. And considering that ā€¦ with ND5XS2 you would not even be able to switch DAC input without a remote. This is another of the reasons for not looking forward to continue with Naim streamers and being open for other brands.

1 Like

Let us know you experience when connecting your HiCap, Iā€™m very curious to hear how it goes and how it changes the sound. Not that Iā€™m upgrading any time soon, but happy to collect evidence and justification to do it some day :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.