From SN2 to 202/200dr

I would keep the SN and add a 282 pre-amp since you have the HiCap DR. When I added it to my SN 2 it was a huge improvement in sound over the preamp section of the integrated amp. A pre loved or new 250 DR could be added latter at your convience.

Let Santa be good to you this year! :wink:

3 Likes

If the turntable is the second source and not very often used, I would go for a 282 second hand as Seakayaker advised. A Cd5xs/ flatcap is a fine source.
If the turntable is important, better upgrade to P6 or P8 and keep the SN2. However the Rega Fono is not up the level of the P8, which deserves more the Aria, so additional cost.

1 Like

This will likely be my path as well, albeit with a SN3. I’m afraid of trying it as I know once I hear it, I’ll want to accelerate my purchasing timeline. I do seem to be following your script lol

2 Likes

202 & 200 no longer on the Naim pricelist.

Maybe naim are building some other 2x2 for a spring launch…

Probably worth saying at this point that Naim Audio’s fundamental belief appears to be in separating preamp and power amp duties. What you might make of this sort of depends on where you might want to go in our hobby.

I’ve never heard (as far as I can recall) a 202/200 vs SN head to head but a dealer whose view without fail I concur with says that over extended listing the pre-power is a more musical listen with greater soundstage etc. However, I did start my Naim ownership with a 202/200 pairing and very good it was but I very soon was able to upgrade the 202 to 282 fed by the 200 and that truly was night and day. My inclination would be that going SN2>202/200 will reveal some improvement but the biggest advantage will be to treat as a stepping stone to a 282.

The source components will of course to an extent ultimately compromise the end result, however whilst I’ve never heard a Rega P2 both the CD5XS and Nat 05 punch heavy and will not in anyway undermine it.

Good luck,

Lindsay

1 Like

My experience too Lindsay!

I’ve done the comparison at length, at home, but with a SN1 rather than SN2. To my ears both were very good but sounded sufficiently different that I could understand different listeners making different choices. I suspect it will also depend on speakers, room and, of course, front end. Mine was CD5XS/nDAC.

Personally, given a 282 is out of the question, I would suggest the OP sticks with the SN2 and focuses on the source.

Roger

I made the comparison at my dealers using an NDX, properly set up on Fraim using NACA5 etc. In that setup there is no way I would have chosen the Supernait based on any sound quality yardstick, to the point where I find it a little baffling that anyone really prefers the sound of a Supernait. (Obviously I ignore the opinions of Supernait owners who haven’t made a properly conducted comparison :wink:)
That isn’t to say that the Supernait is a poor choice. For anyone who wants a simple, great sounding 2-box system it’s an excellent performer at its price.

1 Like

One of my test pieces was John Rutter conducting the Cambridge Singers in the Lady Chapel of Ely Cathedral. Rutter has written about the wonderful acoustics of that space and I find it important to recreate those acoustics as part of the listening experience. To my ears the SN1/HC did that more convincingly than the 200/202 setup. The latter was airier and better at picking out the individual members of the choir but with the SN set I was sitting in the Chapel. I am sorry for baffling you but I was by no means alone in my preference. There was a rather vituperative thread about it on the old forum, so I’ll not say more on the subject.

Roger

The 202/200 for the box count and price aren’t worth the effort ime. I’d sit tight with the SN2 until you can get better separates or upgrade your source.

2 Likes

My comparison was between NDX/Supernait2 (no Hicap) and NDX/202/NAPSC/200DR so not the same gear as yours.
I’m quite prepared to accept that there are subjective preferences either way when people have made proper comparisons.

hi to All.
in the meantime:
there was a 2nd hand 282 here in Italy, close to my city just before Christmas.
but due to our covid (little) trouble, at the end of restrictions the 282 disappeared :sob:
waiting for future good news.
G.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.