From Wifi to Ethernet

I just checked and you are indeed correct! Post edited to avoid future confusion. Thank you and apologies for wrong (or at least old…) information!!

1 Like

No worries! We are all here to share what we know in order to help the community.

2 Likes

Always wired if you can. Wireless purely for convenience.

1 Like

Can you just ‘plug and play’ with the Cisco switch? I’ve read about having to do allsorts to set it up which puts me off, but I’d love to have one.

If you go this route the most important step is to make sure the Cisco switch has been factory reset and any previous configuration removed completely. As it’s a managed switch it can be configured and fine tuned to a specific environment.
In your case you’ll want it to behave as a simple Layer 2 switching device so the default factory reset configuration is all you should need.

1 Like

That’s very useful, Thanks Mr.M

You need to ensure that the pre-owned one you get is factory reset, or at least hasn’t been customised by the other person. And holding the reset button in for 20 seconds does not perform a factory reset.
But you’ll probably find that most of them are still factory settings.
@Simon-in-Suffolk knows a lot about this topic, you’ll find his experience on other threads here. Just search the switch.
Hope this helps.

EDIT: Sorry, I replied without catching up. @Mr.M already said most of this.

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s plenty of guides on the Internet, it’s not rocket science, with a little reading and some patience it takes all of 10 minutes to do it!
Once you get to that point by all means come back here and ask for any pointers if you’re stuck, myself or others will be happy to support if needed.

Thanks to you both. I have ordered one on eBay from a supplier who tells me that it has been factory reset.

Sounds good, they are well made and designed for Enterprise environments so a worthy addition to your LAN regardless.
Have fun with the experiments.

2 Likes

One of the best purchases I’ve made. I tend to forget I have one which is a good thing.

And yet almost 30 posts follow… :sweat_smile:

One of the most divisive topics as many will know.
Electrical/Optical Ethernet in Hi-Fi has to be the biggest rabbit hole that you could throw yourself into, closely followed by mains treatment and to an extent room treatment.
It all comes down to time, money and curiosity in most cases.
You can quickly spend 1000’s on bits of networking equipment in the pursuit of reducing noise or “cleaning” the signals.
How much of that you find yourself doing is dictated primarily by the above criteria!

3 Likes

My Cisco 2960 switch has arrived and I simply plugged it in and it works. However just the two lights out of the four are green (Sys and Stat), the other two are not lit. Does this mean it is running at a slow speed?

The ports (RJ-45 Jack) should be set to auto negotiate. Your ND5 will negotiate a 100 Mb/s Full Duplex connection.

1 Like

Thanks. This is where only having a small amount of network knowledge shows me my limitations.

If it plays music out the speakers that’s a good start!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.